Integrating

TayLowe14

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2023
I have 9 5 week old chicks that I want to move into the coop with my 7 big girls. It’s real hot out so I’d assume I can’t keep them in there without being able to also come out. Am I able to go ahead and integrate or should I still wait? It gets to be about 90-100 in the coop sometimes with this heat. Adding a picture of my coop for a reference.

Attachments

• F3FEC678-CCFC-4384-81E9-EE7AA47B8AA6.png
    F3FEC678-CCFC-4384-81E9-EE7AA47B8AA6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
How old are the big girls, adults? Are they already integrated in with the older birds in the run?
I have 5 girls that are close to 2 years and 2 that are 5 months. No they’re not in the run yet. I’m wondering if it’s too hot to put them in. I don’t have a run, just my yard for free ranging. I have on occasion brought them outside in a carrier to see each other but not on a regular basis.

I have 5 girls that are close to 2 years and 2 that are 5 months. No they’re not in the run yet. I’m wondering if it’s too hot to put them in. I don’t have a run, just my yard for free ranging. I have on occasion brought them outside in a carrier to see each other but not on a regular basis.
I see. I would consider either:

1) setting up a temporary fenced area in the yard, somewhere in a shaded or partially shaded area, for at least a week or two, or
2) propping open the human door in the coop (if that helps cool things off inside) during the day and having the chicks in a fenced off area inside the coop, again for a week or two. If going with this option, definitely check on them regularly the first few days to make sure they're not overheating.

In either of the above, the chicks can be kept in a fenced off area, such as a dog crate, inside the coop at night. Or you'd need to bring them back to the brooder at night. I would not have them loose inside the coop until I knew they were safe enough with the older birds that they wouldn't be attacked or harassed.

I see. I would consider either:

1) setting up a temporary fenced area in the yard, somewhere in a shaded or partially shaded area, for at least a week or two, or
2) propping open the human door in the coop (if that helps cool things off inside) during the day and having the chicks in a fenced off area inside the coop, again for a week or two. If going with this option, definitely check on them regularly the first few days to make sure they're not overheating.

In either of the above, the chicks can be kept in a fenced off area, such as a dog crate, inside the coop at night. Or you'd need to bring them back to the brooder at night. I would not have them loose inside the coop until I knew they were safe enough with the older birds that they wouldn't be attacked or harassed.
Sounds good. Yeah I have a little brooding pen in the coop I planned to use. I don’t have electricity yet to install a small fan but I did put a floor fan on top of the brooding pen to circulate air more. I go out frequently throughout the day to check on everyone so that wouldn’t be a problem either. Thank you for your help and comfort in deciding.

Back
Top Bottom