Integration advice

mvinotime

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
Hello. I am getting some new birds this evening and have a couple questions. I have a large coop/run set up. It is divided into two sections with an adjoining door that is currently closed. In one section I a mama hen and her two 3 week old chicks. In the other section I have an older hen and three youngsetrs that are 2-3 mos old. My question is this, I will be getting a couple chicks about the same age as the 3 week olds I have now. Can they be put into the same coop/run with mama and her babies? I may also get a couple 3-4 mos olds while there and possibly a full grown hen so I would be putting them into the coop/run with my older birds but my question for them is that i will be getting home with all of them after dark. Is it ok to put them in together at night? Thanks!

You should quarantine new birds for a few weeks before introducing them to your existing flock, if possible. Chickens can carry parasites and disease that may not be obvious, even to the trained eye, but can cause serious damage to your flock. Unfortunately I have experienced that myself.

In answer to your questions on how to go about introducing them to your existing flock: first of all the chicks. A broody will almost definitely attack new chicks in that situation. She might not, there are exceptions, but most likely she will not take kindly to them and may even kill them. New chicks should ideally be introduced to a hen while she is still on the nest and/or shortly after she got up from the nest with her new chicks. The chicks you are buying should rather be raised separately, but within sight of the rest of the flock until they are more or less fully grown, before being introduced properly. If you introduce them when they are younger (and smaller) they may get seriously injured or killed by your flock.

The older chickens can be put in with your existing flock when ready. Be prepared for some bullying as they sort out their pecking order, but don't intervene unless it gets out of hand and/or blood is drawn. Some people suggest putting them at night and letting them wake up together. I haven't tried that method myself. I prefer to do introductions during the day, so I can supervise.

Back
Top Bottom