Integration dilemma

orfan40

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 30, 2017
Colorado
We have had and integrated multiple chickens for 6 years. But, have come across 2 problems that I'm at an unknown solution crossroad. We have 4 adult hens. One, a Barred Rock, has been with us the full 6 years, one Brahma that's about 3 yrs old and 2 hybrid reds that are two yrs old. In March we bought two Jersey Giant chicks. We lost one yesterday who accidentally got into the neighbors yard and got nabbed by her labs.
First dilemma, one of the hybrids is very aggressive and pecked and bullied her sister to the point of the sister losing feathers off the tops of both wings with skin being very red. We separated the bullied one so we could try and heal her wings with Vetercyn which is working out well. We put her out in a dog fence with the others so she can be outside and inside the garage at night in case of bad weather. We did try once to put her with the others but got instantly jumped on so will wait awhile longer for her to heal better. Does anyone think that we should get rid of the aggressive one in order to stop the physical injuries of the 'pecking order' phase? I know there's times when they pick on each other but other times we integrated it didn't turn into physical injuries. BTW, they had been living in 'harmony' for over a year before the injuries started occurring.
Second dilemma, now that the baby (12 weeks old) is without her sister she is very lonely. With the bully being so aggressive I'm worried about letting out the baby with the rest. I did build a temporary coop for the babies inside the run but separated from the main flock to get them into the 'look don't touch phase' which has been about two weeks. Also, since they are on different feeds, layer vs starter unmedicated, I'm worried about that also. I believe if I released the baby with all but the bully they would go through the typical pecking order phase but get along pretty early.
The run is certainly big enough for six chickens with plenty of places to hide or get away from the others. I will include pictures. IMG_20220529_094249040_HDR.jpg IMG_20220529_094617427_HDR.jpg IMG_20220529_094655857_HDR.jpg

Do you have a rooster? The bald wings spots do look like mating damage.

If this is not from a rooster, there being no rooster in the flock, then pinless peepers installed on the bully hen can often curtail this aggression.

As for the "baby", it's time to put her with the flock. Begin by installing her in the coop early in the day but after the others have finished laying and close her in. This will help her get comfortable in the coop and see it as home. By the time evening comes, you can let the others inside, and this youngster should already be roosting. Just referee in case she's in someone's favorite spot and you can move her.

The feed issue is easily solved. Just feed all flock feed to everyone until all hens are laying. If you have a rooster, this solves the problem of feed for him, as well.

Everyone is different on this but I just do not get RIR's or Red Hybrids anymore after twice having to give them away due to aggression. I just couldn't be out there to stop the attacks on the nice ladies so off to Craig's list they went with full disclaimer that they were laying hens, but mean. I'm not naive enough to think you can have no bullying at all but you just know when it's well beyond what's to be expected....

Do you have a rooster? The bald wings spots do look like mating damage.

If this is not from a rooster, there being no rooster in the flock, then pinless peepers installed on the bully hen can often curtail this aggression.

As for the "baby", it's time to put her with the flock. Begin by installing her in the coop early in the day but after the others have finished laying and close her in. This will help her get comfortable in the coop and see it as home. By the time evening comes, you can let the others inside, and this youngster should already be roosting. Just referee in case she's in someone's favorite spot and you can move her.

The feed issue is easily solved. Just feed all flock feed to everyone until all hens are laying. If you have a rooster, this solves the problem of feed for him, as well.
We don't have a rooster (city codes don't allow) so it's not mating injuries. It's from her bully sister who gets on her and pecks away. I ordered pinless peepers yesterday from Amazon. Thanks for the advice there.

So, it's okay to take the baby off of starter feed at 3 months? We have a brooder who is in her funk right now so she's not laying but the other 3 adults are laying so would their dietary needs be met with the all flock feed?

The brooder has been like this forever and we know how to get her off but it takes a bit and isn't really a concern.

Thanks again for your reply!

Everyone is different on this but I just do not get RIR's or Red Hybrids anymore after twice having to give them away due to aggression. I just couldn't be out there to stop the attacks on the nice ladies so off to Craig's list they went with full disclaimer that they were laying hens, but mean. I'm not naive enough to think you can have no bullying at all but you just know when it's well beyond what's to be expected....
I totally agree with your opinion. Since our other two hens are bigger that the bully hybrid she doesn't pick on them but her own sister. We'll see how the peepers work.
Thanks for your reply!

I'm going to disagree with some here.

imo pinless peepers are cruel and I won't use them. By taking the bullied hen away, you have lowered her ranking and increased the risk of bullying when you try and put her back.

Pull out the bully and isolate her. Put the bullied hen and the young pullet in the flock.

Bully gets one or two weeks in chicken prison before integration starts back. She will habe dropped ranks. Any aggression from her then means she gets sold and harmony remains.

That's how I would deal with it. And only remove sick hens from the flock in future that are very very sick or contagious. A mild case of feather plucking just needs a spray and put back in. Bullies get pulled out, unless it's a whole pack of them ganging up on one, then you've got a bigger problem!

Second dilemma, now that the baby (12 weeks old) is without her sister she is very lonely. With the bully being so aggressive I'm worried about letting out the baby with the rest.

I would try putting the baby with the victim first, in the pen next to the main flock.

If that works well, a week or so later I would put both of them in the main flock, but move the bully to the separate pen.

If that works well, I would wait at least another week, and then try putting the bully back, but I would have a backup plan of either rehoming or butchering the bully if you are unable to get her re-integrated peacefully.

(This is what I would try. Obviously, different people advise different things-- I think all the ideas have a chance of working, so it's just a matter of which one you want to try.)

since they are on different feeds, layer vs starter unmedicated, I'm worried about that also.
Chick starter is safe for all of them, at any age. Just make sure there is a separate dish of oyster shell so the hens can get the extra calcium they need. (That is the only special thing about layer feed: higher calcium than most other feeds.)

Back
Top Bottom