Integration oddities or normal behavior?

Today I attempted to let Gwyneth interact again with the others in the same space. Good gosh, that hen has learned nothing! She immediately went after everyone, pecking them and pulling their feathers. Then, she went after Daisy, her pal of two years, and pinned her to the ground and started thrashing her. Things got ugly fast. I pulled them apart, but Daisy was absolutely terrified, and was clawing at the hardware cloth to get out of the pen. Daisy was the boss hen before she decided to go all broody. She used to be the mean one, driving other hens off the roost when they were molting. That is why I was completely shocked when she showed how docile she was around the littles. I wish some of that orneriness would have come back out when Gwyneth attacked her. She lost her mojo. :(

Now I don’t know what to do. It’s clear that separation has so far had no positive effect on Gwyneth. I know it’s only been a week, but I would have thought there would have been some progress. She’s only gotten worse.

I’m planning on keeping her confined near the others for a longer sentence this time. I think I will try the integration again when the littles are her size. They are eight weeks old now, and about half her size. I don’t expect the Orpingtons to take her on, but the Barred Rocks or the RIRs maybe? One of the 7 new pullets should have the spunk to whip her into shape eventually. And then there is the one little Barred Rock roo.

I may try the pinless peepers again too. I just need to figure out why she got bloodied with them the last time. They were working.

How interesting!
Had to drag my chicks out of the nests last night, sharp little toenails.
Daisy has been in the nest box every night lately, flattened like a pancake, and growling. I had to drag her out and place her on the roost. I finally closed off access to the nesting box. Now she at least hangs out in the run, but is not showing any signs of stopping the broody behaviors. I don’t think she is eating very well, and she has been molting during all of this as well. She walks around all puffed up, clucking away non stop, showing the eight week old pullets where the food is. They still run to her when she clucks.

At night, she does go to the roost with the littles, but remains all puffed up and growling like she is in the nest. Poor girl. I’m not sure what to do about this.

Today I attempted to let Gwyneth interact again with the others in the same space. Good gosh, that hen has learned nothing! She immediately went after everyone, pecking them and pulling their feathers. Then, she went after Daisy, her pal of two years, and pinned her to the ground and started thrashing her. Things got ugly fast. I pulled them apart, but Daisy was absolutely terrified, and was clawing at the hardware cloth to get out of the pen. Daisy was the boss hen before she decided to go all broody. She used to be the mean one, driving other hens off the roost when they were molting. That is why I was completely shocked when she showed how docile she was around the littles. I wish some of that orneriness would have come back out when Gwyneth attacked her. She lost her mojo. :(

Now I don’t know what to do. It’s clear that separation has so far had no positive effect on Gwyneth. I know it’s only been a week, but I would have thought there would have been some progress. She’s only gotten worse.

I’m planning on keeping her confined near the others for a longer sentence this time. I think I will try the integration again when the littles are her size. They are eight weeks old now, and about half her size. I don’t expect the Orpingtons to take her on, but the Barred Rocks or the RIRs maybe? One of the 7 new pullets should have the spunk to whip her into shape eventually. And then there is the one little Barred Rock roo.

I may try the pinless peepers again too. I just need to figure out why she got bloodied with them the last time. They were working.
[/QUOTE

You're in a tough situation! Why don't you rehome Gwyneth? If you think like a chicken, Gwyneth was NOT being bad! Now, she has been punished (isolated) and hurt (by the pinless peepers) without knowing why. Its no wonder her behavior is worse and she's gone a bit crazy. Yet, you were right not to let her terrorize the others, it sounds like she could/would hurt them. Maybe after your littles are full grown, they would put her in her place, but maybe not. Your blind hen will never be able to protect herself. I know that some people like them, but the pinless peepers seem cruel to me and they did hurt Gwyneth. Think what that must feel like …. This is not a criticism of you! You are trying everything to make a bad situation better. But Gwyneth needs to be happy too. Maybe keep isolating her until you can find a new home for Gwyneth?

You would think, that if Gwyneth can tolerate being this close to the littles, on the same roost, separated by only chicken wire, that she would no ok with them. Sigh...maybe one day?

A8A16650-6E1C-4D32-80C5-FB1A2BC62025.jpeg
68FFC110-47EF-4720-B347-83BCC9CDDF71.jpeg

Well, thought I would update this post with the latest on my integration troubles with Gwyneth. Yesterday, I allowed Gwyneth to be with the others for about 2 hours, supervised. I setup a chair and relaxed to watch them intermingle. Also ended up doing a little maintenance around the coop, since things were going fairly well.

Gwyneth did not chase the others as much this time. Sure, she would peck at them if they went to the same feeder or waterer as her, but otherwise she left them alone. I'm not sure if it was because she was hot, and didn't want to exert herself. She was doing the normal thing when hot, holding her wings out from her body. The others pretty much high tailed it away from the general vicinity of Gwyneth. They mainly went to the other side of the run. If Gwyneth wandered over to their side, they would all run to the other side. However, unlike the last time I let her mingle with them, she didn't actively go chase anyone.

The only real issue was when my blind barred rock, Precious, wandered over near her. Again, she's blind, so she didn't really know where she was in relation to Gwyneth. She was alert though, as she knew Gwyneth was loose. Well, she got too close, and Gwyneth grabbed her neck feathers until Daisy body slammed her. Yeah, Daisy is still acting a bit broody and being protective of the others. However, even in this incident, normally Gwyneth would then take out her aggression on Daisy for intervening. She did not do that this time. She walked away.

Maybe there is still hope for this integration yet. I'll just continue to give Gwyneth her own space for now, and allow some mingling when I can be out there to monitor things closely. It is my hope that I can leave them be. If it weren't for my blind one, I would just allow them to all work it out.

Oh...and my 10 week old barred rock cockerel is now almost as big as Gwyneth. He was also acting a bit more bold with her, and would just strut right by her on his way to the other side of the run. Before, he would run like the others. Hmmmm....she better watch out for that one.

Gwyneth and Daisy are ISA Brown. Gwyneth weighs only 4.5 lbs (Daisy-5 lbs). From what I understand, all of the new breeds I have for chicks (Barred Rock, RIR, Buff Orpington) will be larger than the ISAs. They are all 10 weeks old now, and are still growing like crazy every day. It won't be long before they all equal the ISAs in size, before surpassing them.

Maybe keep isolating her until you can find a new home for Gwyneth?
I missed your reply. I'd like to keep Gwyneth. She was part of our first ever flock, and was always one of the nicest chickens we have. Before we even got new chicks this spring, it was Gwyneth who I thought would be the kindest to the newbies. She was always the underdog with my original flock of four, and maybe that is why she feels threatened now. But I would like to give her a chance. And I know she would likely do just fine if it weren't for my blind one. Everyone else can cope and flee when necessary, but Precious cannot. And that is an issue, and may even become a greater issue when the real pecking order begins, as these newbies reach point of lay. There are a lot of unknowns I will have to address. I'm hoping we just get lucky and everything works out for good.

On another note, I have been told that ISA Browns don't usually live very long. Gwyneth is 28 months old. Two of my other ISAs were lost to reproductive issues already, and only the two remain. Daisy herself has had some laying issues, but is currently doing ok since she went into molt and is broody as well. She hasn't layed and egg in about six weeks now.

Gwyneth has been pretty healthy, except for repeated Bumblefoot issues. I noticed yesterday that she seems to have developed yet another one. The last one she had we cleared up a few months ago.

In any case, we'd like to still see if she can fit in. I do think she may be mellowing out a bit with the separation. And it's not like she is totally away from the others. She is right next to them at all times, just a wire barrier separates them.

Well, Gwyneth was released into the general population for another couple of hours again today, due to good behavior. I even left them alone for an hour, and everyone was healthy when I checked in on them again. She will peck at them, but only if they are right next to her. She isn’t chasing anyone down, or stalking them like before. I’d say this is progress, and more normal for integration right? As long as they don’t get right in her face, or are where she wants to be, she leaves them alone.

Back
Top Bottom