Integration oddities or normal behavior?

Pics
Even more progress. Yesterday, I was adding a new window to the coop, so I was out there most of the day. I let Gwyneth be with the others, for about 7 hours, and things were civil. No one spends any time near her, and because of that, there were few incidents. There were the normal pecks here and there, but overall it was good.

I’m still separating her for the night, but I may test that tonight. The only issue is that I have one long roost, so she may declare the entire thing as her own. I have 10 chickens, so I know I need to expand the roost situation.

I am hoping that She can co-exist with everyone, without barriers, very soon.

I think I won this battle of wills. I let Gwyneth out with the littles all day yesterday, and everything went well. She still pecks the others when they are in her face, or where she wants to be, but is not chasing anyone for no apparent reason. I guess that is normal.

I added an additional roost yesterday, just to provide a little more roosting space in the coop, and to give Gwyneth more space from the others, since she doesn’t want any of them near her. On the other hand, she is back to being friendly with Daisy, and doesn’t mind her anymore. This morning, they were scratching together.

I removed all of the temporary barriers as well, and let them just duke it out on the roosts last night. Figured they just need to work it out for themselves. Gwyneth defended the 4’ section on the right side of the 8’ roost. If they stayed on the other side, she was ok. If they crossed or were near the center line, she would drive them off. The new roost she ignored completely. I thought she would claim it as her own, but she didn’t. Anyone on that for the night was safe.

I got up early to observe what happened when they all got up. No drama. Gwyneth just sat there, or was preening herself till we opened the door.

YOOHOOOOO! I’m glad this is over. Here is the new setup. Night view, with them all on the roosts.
365B460C-DFB3-4DB8-B5A1-E70A4F39D7A5.png

YOOHOOOOO! I’m glad this is over. Here is the new setup. Night view, with them all on the roosts.
Congrats!! :highfive:
....didn't put your two threads together until I saw this pic.
But have been wondering.....how's the blind bird doing?

Congrats!! :highfive:
....didn't put your two threads together until I saw this pic.
But have been wondering.....how's the blind bird doing?
She’s doing pretty well. Yes, she gets pecked more than the others, but that’s just because she doesn’t know when she is in Gwyneth’s space. Overall, she manages to get away, and isn’t pursued. I have a thread about her, and I will be updating that one soon.

In the last picture, it’s hard to see, but she is on the very far left of the main roost. She pretty much just goes straight up the ramp and parks herself right there on the end. As long as Daisy is to her right, she isn’t bothered by Gwyneth.

maybe you need to put a bell necklace on Gwyneth so Precious knows where she is. one of the little christmas bells on a neck ribbon should do awesomly or on a ankls bracelet I was gonna put little tiny bellls on my littles but decided not to. But a regular size one would be a good warning beacon.

Thought I would provide a last update on this thread I started.

All of the temporary barriers are down, and everyone is thriving in peace! It took awhile, but Gwyneth is now mostly civil with everyone, provided they give her space. She does defend about 4' of the roost space, and keeps it clear for herself, but there is enough roost space elsewhere now for everyone else.

Daisy has finally stopped being broody. She is no longer being "mom" to the now 11 week olds. The time she spent with them was special, and she still hangs out with them normally. She and Gwyneth are back to being pals, and I find them dust bathing and scratching around together. Sometimes the littles try to join them, since they are so comfortable with Daisy, but Gwyneth quickly drives them off.

Basically, wherever Gwyneth is...she might have Daisy near her, but the rest of the chickens are now everywhere else but near her. If she walks over to the other side of the run where they are, they all quickly scatter away.

I'm relieved this is over...for now. Can't wait for the real pecking order to begin, when these 11 week old hens start coming into lay. I have a young RIR that has always been a bit feisty with Gwyneth, but quickly subdued by her. The RIR, named Omelet, I think is going to take Gwyneth's crown away eventually. We will see....

Back
Top Bottom