Integration of different species

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
Can I keep my chickens and ducks in the same coop and run without issue?? If I dig a pond in the run for the ducks (big run) the chickens will be smart enough to stay out of it won't they?

I kept muscovy ducks and chickens in the same coop with a small wading pool for the ducks to swim in/chickens to drink from. The ducks made it quite nasty so I had to dump and refill every couple days, but otherwise they pretty much left one another alone. My muscovies were too big for the hens to bully, and were too laid back to bully the chickens, so it worked out well. Now, I had some Khaki Campbells for a while--the little drake did his darndest to kill muscovy ducklings and harassed the chickens too, so he went into the rotisserie. My chickens were big dual purpose birds that tend to be calmer than the high metabolism purely egg birds as well, and I'm sure an acre of fenced in pasture for them all to have plenty of elbow room helped.

I did have a couple of chicks fall into the pool and drown, but even deep puddles or the shallow creek nearby never was a problem for the chickens that got loose and wanted to drink there.

I'd be very careful of crowding the birds, or mixing very active breeds in a confined space. Otherwise, give it a shot.

Last edited:
I kept muscovy ducks and chickens in the same coop with a small wading pool for the ducks to swim in/chickens to drink from. The ducks made it quite nasty so I had to dump and refill every couple days, but otherwise they pretty much left one another alone. My muscovies were too big for the hens to bully, and were too laid back to bully the chickens, so it worked out well. Now, I had some Khaki Campbells for a while--the little drake did his darndest to kill muscovy ducklings and harassed the chickens too, so he went into the rotisserie. My chickens were big dual purpose birds that tend to be calmer than the high metabolism purely egg birds as well, and I'm sure an acre of fenced in pasture for them all to have plenty of elbow room helped.

I did have a couple of chicks fall into the pool and drown, but even deep puddles or the shallow creek nearby never was a problem for the chickens that got loose and wanted to drink there.

I'd be very careful of crowding the birds, or mixing very active breeds in a confined space. Otherwise, give it a shot.
I'll have a variety of chickens, RIR, Australorp, Barred Rock and Red Sex Link and the chickens are Khaki Campbells. I have one roo and the ducks should all be female. They won't be crowded though.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/670605/our-barns-3rd-life-pics#post_9057109 < my coop and run.

I was also wondering if I could throw a few turkeys in with them or not.

Back
Top Bottom