Integration of new chickens and rooster

Predoggg

Songster
Mar 8, 2023
South Carolina
We currently have an all female flock of 7 chickens (3 of them 3 years (Buff Oprington, Plymouth Rock and White Rock) old and 4 of them are about 2 years old (Gold Laced Wyondotte, Delaware and 2 black Australop) ). We are looking to increase the flock size and possibly adding a rooster / roosters. We got 10 nesting boxes and they got about 1/2 acre to free range. We want to add a rooster for protection since we have lost a couple of them in the past (hawk, oppusum and last time it was a coyote).

We currently have 15 baby chicks (mystery shipment 8 week old) and we will get another shipment of 1 day old in August. We were thinking of adding the Salmon Favorelle rooster to the flock. The baby chicks are in the free range area inside their tractor right now and we have observed both flocks interacting.

We have not decided on the final flock size.

Our question:
  1. How do we integrated the current flock of baby chicks?
  2. How many roosters do you recommend?

Well, I get the chicks out into my flock ASAP. I do have a lot of clutter and a lot of hideouts that are just big enough for chicks. Like a pallet in the middle of the run, just 4 inches off the ground.

As for roosters And the final flock size - what are the measurements of the coop. People often say, well we free range- so we can cheat on the size of the coop - but it really doesn't work that way.

A really good rooster will make a noticeable difference in day time predations...BUT not all roosters are really good roosters-in fact a lot of roosters are rotten. AND even a good rooster can only do so much.

If predators have found you - they will be back. It might very well need to be able to lock up and protect your flock for several days or even weeks, to get predators time to move on, or you time to trap the predators.

So IMO the final size of your flock depends on the finite size of your coop. The more roosters you have...the greater the chance of the roosters not working out with each other. Even if you only have 1 rooster - he can be a jerk, you get good roosters with a sharp knife, and removing rotten roosters. For a flock less than 20 laying hens, I would only have 1 rooster. Only adding 1-2 more if a flock reached 20-35 layers.

Mrs K

Thank you. Our coop is a 8x8 shed and our chickens are only in for sleeping and laying an egg. They are out of the coop with the first sunlight and some of them are late back in. We can add hide outs in the run. We did plant trees for them to hide from hawks. Our run is surrounded by a 4ft fence and covers about a half acre. We understand that a rooster can only do so much.

I would think the maximum flock would be a flock of laying hens 16-20. Depending on the breed. A four foot fence will not keep predators out, or really a lot of hens in. To have predator protection - or at least up here in SD I need a totally enclosed run. I have tried a lot of fencing. Finally DH redid my run in chain link fence. I

My worst predator is coons, followed by coyotes. I have hawks and eagles, but have never felt they got my birds, but perhaps once in a while.

Even in much tougher weather than I imagine NC has, my hens do not spend much time in the coop. Sleeping and laying. In SD though, the long, long nights can cause havoc if you do not have enough space in the coop.

Good luck

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom