Integration Question

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I have a duck hen who spent the summer inside healing from a foot issue, and I put her back with the flock today. I let them all free range for a few hours, and now they’re back in the pen.

The females initially chased her away from the group, but they’ve kind of calmed down. The less dominate of my two drakes is still chasing her a bit. I think they’ve worn themselves out from all the excitement, plus they’re molting so they’re kind of low energy anyway. But they will occasionally chase her from the pool.

I’m just wondering if I should leave her with them tonight. When I go into the pen, she hides behind me, and she has hiding places where she can get away from them but is holding her own. She quacks loudly and runs, and they will chase her and peck at her back but I haven’t seen any major fighting or aggression. She also has access to food and water in multiple places and is eating/drinking/bathing okay.

Is it something I’m just gonna have to let them work out? Or should I take her back in tonight? Thanks.

Thanks, y’all. I think I’m gonna leave her with them a few more hours and check when I take my dog out before bed and probably bring her in. They’re all asleep right now. She’s actually in their little lean-to area with one of the drakes (not sure if he’s guarding or bonding), and the other Drake and the rest of the hens are out in the middle of the pen. But they’re all sound asleep.

Scratch that. I brought her in. My dad said after I got inside they got wild. How many days do you think it will take them to get use to her? I do have another drake who lives separately with her. I’m considering just leaving them together permanently. That was tough to watch!

Usually integration is done with fencing in between so they all can get use to each other again. It can take days or weeks. Just depends on the ducks.
That’s what I would have done, but everyone kept telling me that since they knew her it’d be fine 🙄, plus I wasn’t really set up for it. I have a 5x5 dog pen that I could put into their pen and let her stay in that for a while. I actually have two ducks I need to reintegrate, but I thought one at a time would be best. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’d do both the same time that way everyone is use to each other together. Dog crate will work. Then give everyone time together with supervision after a couple days and see how it goes.

I’d do both the same time that way everyone is use to each other together. Dog crate will work. Then give everyone time together with supervision after a couple days and see how it goes.
Even if one of them is male? I'm not sure they'll accept him back - he was kind of bullied in the spring, which is why I separated him. I was hoping since they're molting/mating season is over, I might give it a try. Is it cruel to leave them both in the 5x5 pen inside the main pen?

Your not leaving them for good. Hopefully since this time of year hormones are waning they will accept him too. How many drakes do you have and how many females? There could be a problem and you may have to separate permanently if you have too many drakes to females. These are things you can work out as you go. But I'd def try putting both in the 5X5 crate and maybe letting them out during the day for some exercise. You can also use plastic poultry fencing and split a run. I don't know what your set up looks like but there are things that be done when you have to keep some from being bullies. I have a 14 yr old Muscovy females who has to sleep in a dog crate inside of her coop at night because another female picks on her.

Back
Top Bottom