Integration Question

Your not leaving them for good. Hopefully since this time of year hormones are waning they will accept him too. How many drakes do you have and how many females? There could be a problem and you may have to separate permanently if you have too many drakes to females. These are things you can work out as you go. But I'd def try putting both in the 5X5 crate and maybe letting them out during the day for some exercise. You can also use plastic poultry fencing and split a run. I don't know what your set up looks like but there are things that be done when you have to keep some from being bullies. I have a 14 yr old Muscovy females who has to sleep in a dog crate inside of her coop at night because another female picks on her.
I only have three hens and three drakes. I know that’s not ideal, but it’s worked out other than having to separate the third drake. He was lonely so when one of the hens had an injury this summer, I put her with him. Each group works well together, I just can’t keep the two separated ones where they are much longer so I was hoping maybe they’d go back to the main flock. I definitely rushed things yesterday thinking it would be fine. I was trying to avoid a new construction project. I do plan to get more females in the spring though.

I think I must have stirred something up yesterday. My two drakes who always get along are now fighting and keeping their distance from each other. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I’m gonna leave them together for today and let them battle it out, but if things get worse or they’re still like this in a day or two, I’m seriously considering switching the less dominant drake from the main flock with my separated hen and and having a bachelor pad with my two bullied boys.

I only have three hens and three drakes. I know that’s not ideal, but it’s worked out other than having to separate the third drake. He was lonely so when one of the hens had an injury this summer, I put her with him. Each group works well together, I just can’t keep the two separated ones where they are much longer so I was hoping maybe they’d go back to the main flock. I definitely rushed things yesterday thinking it would be fine. I was trying to avoid a new construction project. I do plan to get more females in the spring though.
Oh they probably got their drake feathers wadded up because you shook up things bringing her back in. Hopefully they'll get it settled today.

Oh they probably got their drake feathers wadded up because you shook up things bringing her back in. Hopefully they'll get it settled today.
I feel bad. Poor Freddie is hiding in the sleeping in the corner away from everyone. He’s the less dominant one anyway. I hope they work it out. I have to take my dog to a vet visit tomorrow, so I don’t have time for this duck drama. 😅

As long as no one is getting injured. My 14 yr old Muscovy female has to be kept away from the one Muscovy female because she picks on Ruth relentlessly i won't put her through the stress it can wear on them.

As long as no one is getting injured. My 14 yr old Muscovy female has to be kept away from the one Muscovy female because she picks on Ruth relentlessly i won't put her through the stress it can wear on them.
Yeah, I’ve only seen chasing. No biting or slamming or anything. He lets him hang out with him and the girls, but if he gets too close he chases him away. He even cornered him once but didn’t fight him, just turned around and walked off. He’s eating and drinking but spending most of his time in the corner or away from them. I’ll see how it goes the rest of the day. If I do switch him and my separated girl out, I’ll use crates this time. I may end up with a main flock and a little bachelor group, and I’m okay with that.

Back
Top Bottom