Integration Questions

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
So I have two batches of birds. The first are all chickens, 12 of them that have grown up together and are all 16 weeks old. The second is very mixed, including 2 khaki ducks, 2 african geese, 6 guineas, and 2 bourbon red turkeys. I was thinking building 3 separate coops. One for the chickens, one for the waterfowl, and one for the game birds. Will this work, or should I try to integrate them all into one big coop?

Also, within my chickens, I have 4 ayam cemani pullets. I wanted to have AC babies, but that can't happen unless I added an AC rooster. I have one lined up to buy, but he is 5 months old. I was thinking when the pullets were bigger I could separate them and put them in with him in a separate half of their area, just keeping the rooster by himself with the see-dont-touch method with the other chickens. There are 2 roosters in my original flock so I didn't want to put the new rooster in with risk of him fighting and hurting my hens or other roosters.

So should I keep him in his own space, then when the ladies are old enough just introduce the ladies to his space? Or what is some more advice?

I was thinking building 3 separate coops.
Sounds like a good plan to me!
They all have different housing needs.

Also, within my chickens, I have 4 ayam cemani pullets. I wanted to have AC babies, but that can't happen unless I added an AC rooster. I have one lined up to buy, but he is 5 months old. I was thinking when the pullets were bigger I could separate them and put them in with him in a separate half of their area, just keeping the rooster by himself with the see-dont-touch method with the other chickens. There are 2 roosters in my original flock so I didn't want to put the new rooster in with risk of him fighting and hurting my hens or other roosters.
Depends on your goals, other than pure AC chicks.
Keeping multiple males can be a real PITA, best to keep just 1 if at all possible.
If you want more than one male might be good to keep them with their own harems in separate housing.

Sounds like a good plan to me!
They all have different housing needs.

Depends on your goals, other than pure AC chicks.
Keeping multiple males can be a real PITA, best to keep just 1 if at all possible.
If you want more than one male might be good to keep them with their own harems in separate housing.
I was definitely planning on pure AC chicks. As for the rest of the chickens, theyre all from a straight run and had two roos out of 12. Ive grown rather fond of them both, and ive never seen them fighting and they're both very sweet to me. If i ever see the two of them starting to cause problems I already have a plan to sell my Lakenvelder roo and his hen counterpart together though

Back
Top Bottom