Integration Will Soon Happen...Help Needed

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
So I have two groups. First group is 17 weeks, that would be two girls(barred rock and RIR) and one boy(silver lace)(there is a second boy(leghorn) that was removed a couple weeks ago and is now in the house until I can make him his own area). The second group is about 11-12 weeks--4 girls(3 brahmas and I believe 1 golden lace)

For the last month the younger ones have spent their days in the coop enclosure with a gate up and their nights in a carrier in the coop with the bigger ones.

The bigger ones still seem to find great joy in antagonizing the smaller ones. At this time at least I know they are safe from them. Some of the noises the barred rock makes are not what I would call friendly. Other days I see them laying up against the coop along with the young ones(wire in between)

I'm off of work for a couple days the week after next. What is the best way to put these guys together originally? Do I just open the gate and let the circus begin? I'm so stressed about this because a couple weeks one came out and the boy pinned her. He is normally pretty gentile. I was caught off guard completely. I'm not great at listening to them sound like they are getting pecked to death.

Help? Advise?

I would keep them separated for a bit longer. If they can see each other like through fencing that can help. I have a small coop in my run for the young chicks after they are feathered out and can move outside. It has a small run attached so the older chickens and younger can see each other and get acclimated. Best to you.

6 weeks isn't enough time for them to see each other? In two weeks it will be over 6 weeks of separation with sight.

At the 3 month mark and 4 month mark they should all be quick enough to get away from each other. Just the last couple weeks probably made a pretty big difference in size, so letting them out now would probably be okay. Since they have been able to see each other it shouldn’t be too bad. But, yeah wait, until you can hang around to keep an eye on them for a couple hours to see how it goes.
How much room do they have total? Is there plenty of room for them all to have their own space?
The older ones are still going to establish the pecking order so there will be squabbling. Try having feed and water on separate sides of the coop and maybe there will be less competition for resources.

Back
Top Bottom