Integration: young rooster (9weeks) into large hen flock

Momma_Z

Chirping
Sep 7, 2020
Milton, Florida
Hey there! Quick question :)

so I have two 2 y/o polish hens, one 1 y/o naked neck hen, seventeen 8 week old RIR hens… my husband just picked up a 9 week old Ayam Cemani rooster a few weeks ago.
I’m trying to figure out the best way to integrate him. Should I keep him inside the house until Wednesday morning??? Should I put him out in the coop with the RIRs during the day?

Last edited:
Might be the best bet....are the RIR's separate from the older birds?
Still, integrating a single bird is tough.
I would keep him in a crate for some introduction time.
The RIR‘s are slowly integrating with the older birds. We are having a difficult time trying to integrate him though during the day at least.
We try to keep an eye on the whole fog during the day. We have had any fighting or anything, just lots of squawking from or naked neck hen.

Could you set up a pen near all the other chickens for him? See and be seen so they can get used to each other. Presumably he will be top of the flock so he will have to establish his position eventually. Probably not for some time though given his age.

Congrats on your new birds!

I would let all the old birds out into the yard. Put the pullets and him in the coop/run set up. Let them explore it all day, and near dark, let everyone else back in.

I would not expect a lot of trouble, a little bluster.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom