Integration

dishfickle

Songster
11 Years
Jan 26, 2012
hey everyone. My new and original ducks are all getting along very well. I've had the new ones in a poem, and they stay in there all night while the rest go into their house. He want to get them all in there together. We tried once, but they bolted out the door. I don't know if the others chased them. I don't know how territorial they are about their house. Do we force it, or put a shelter in the pen

Any way you can separate the coop so the newbies can be in there safely for a while? Maybe they just need to feel safe. I had that problem and had to make a temp area for my new ones until they were accepted. Just using plastic fencing or reg fencing or lattice etc I had a piece of lattice I used to make a section for newbies to sleep at night. It only took them a few nights to go in on their own and know they were protected.

My spring ducklings have been raised in a shelter/run just a few feet away from the adult runners, and -- since I've integrated babies into the group before -- I was sure they would immediately become one big, happy flock. I was not at all correct.

We are now at week two of letting them all out together during the day, and they are getting friendlier. But at night, they are still wanting to sleep in separate places. I may have to get more forceful. I think Miss Lydia's suggestion is on the mark.

Back
Top Bottom