Integration???

chickenteacher2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
Desert, S. CA
So, if we got a new chick from the feed store, do you all think it would be ok to stick it in with my week-and-a-half olds? I didn't think it would be a problem, but thought to ask the experts here.

Should be fine. I was told that even at 3 weeks they haven't developed any pecking order so I was able to add newborns to my group. Enjoy the new baby, I was shocked at how quickly they grow!

Integration went well.
big_smile.png
The bigger ones pecked a little. The week olds moved to a bigger space today and one of the two little guys kept getting out of the containment area, so until we can fix the problem, they (new guys) are in the old containment area. Overall, ok. Noticed the one Araucana chick has a growth on its little chest though.
hu.gif

Today, we moved all the babies outside with the 6 1/2 week olds. They are keeping separated. The 6 little ones huddle, run, cower when the two big ones come near. I just screech when the big ones peck a baby head or do something "mean."
tongue.gif
This chicken stuff ain't for sissies.
D.gif
On the other hand, the babies LOVE being outside. They are having their dust baths and eating things they've never encountered. Not to mention, sunshine.

love.gif
All the babies are getting along...they are nesting together at night in their kennel. FINALLY! There are 8 now cooped up while the adults free range. All are happy and healthy.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom