"Intel" questions for New Mexico or Arizona residents

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Hello. We're very worried about the invasion of an Intel plant here in our part of Ohio. I say invasion because it has been very invasive and destructive so far and they are only in the early stages. They have already destroyed thousands of trees, endangered wildlife habitat, and now are looking to clear out wetlands. They also have destroyed a lot of beautiful farms and although making a lot of people rich in the process, the rest of us are sick about what they are doing here. We here have heard lots of horror stories about living in the vicinity of an Intel facility, and are concerned with what they intend to do going forward. I'm looking for people in States where Intel plants are located to see if you've had experience living near them and what your take away on that is.

Chandler AZ would not exist if it wasn't for Intel's presence. They're one of the largest employers in AZ, and they are heavily invested in the valley in many ways. They're a manufacturing plant. There is no way they will ever be 100% eco friendly.

Intel DOES make efforts to mitigate their impact. For instance, in Chandler, they use about 2 million gallons of water a day in the chip fab. They manage to recycle about 60% of it to drinking water standards or better. The remainder is managed in concert with the EPA and Intel pays the costs of neutralizing it.

Mileage is going to vary based on the laws in your state, but I've found intel to be a good neighbor. They are pretty closely monitored by the EPA, so whatever they're doing is going to be within state and federal regs. Getting your keister fined for taking shortcuts is bad for business, and shareholders don't like the attention.

Here's an article from 2013 talking about the wastewater stuff.
https://www.eco-business.com/news/intel-plant-replenishes-aquifer-thirsty-arizona-city/

Another from 2017 after the Ocotillo extension was opened.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...tainability-powers-chandler-campus/100580188/

Thsnk you. If they were in a better location here we might not mind. But we dont want growth. We want to stay rural. We have plenty of unfilled jobs here. No one here had any idea intel was coming It was a big secret

Chandler AZ would not exist if it wasn't for Intel's presence. They're one of the largest employers in AZ, and they are heavily invested in the valley in many ways. They're a manufacturing plant. There is no way they will ever be 100% eco friendly.

Intel DOES make efforts to mitigate their impact. For instance, in Chandler, they use about 2 million gallons of water a day in the chip fab. They manage to recycle about 60% of it to drinking water standards or better. The remainder is managed in concert with the EPA and Intel pays the costs of neutralizing it.

Mileage is going to vary based on the laws in your state, but I've found intel to be a good neighbor. They are pretty closely monitored by the EPA, so whatever they're doing is going to be within state and federal regs. Getting your keister fined for taking shortcuts is bad for business, and shareholders don't like the attention.

Here's an article from 2013 talking about the wastewater stuff.
https://www.eco-business.com/news/intel-plant-replenishes-aquifer-thirsty-arizona-city/

Another from 2017 after the Ocotillo extension was opened.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...tainability-powers-chandler-campus/100580188/
Also did it ever occur to you that the reason your part of the Country has been in constant drought for the past few years might just have something to do with Intel??? OK, 5 Million gallons of water used per Fab, per day?? ( is what we have been told). The reason they want to be here in Ohio is because in our County we have such a high aquifer. We want to keep it that way. They have not been able to come up with any satisfactory answers regarding potential problems this manufacturer may cause. No answers. Not from anyone. We don't need or want them here. And our Governor just lost his chance for re-election, at least as far as this County is concerned. Thank you for the links, and I'll pass them on as a matter of interest, but I'm very skeptical re the article about water. If I sound bitter, yes I am. They will ruin central Ohio. The majority of residents here are very bitter and feel lost and betrayed.

Last edited:
Best of luck. I'd suggest you and your neighbors need to bend the ears of your local and state leaders on this if you want to try and stop it. I am a random dude in AZ who answered your question. I cannot make Intel go away for you.

Best of luck. I'd suggest you and your neighbors need to bend the ears of your local and state leaders on this if you want to try and stop it. I am a random dude in AZ who answered your question. I cannot make Intel go away for you.
I know, and thanks for the info, I was just venting, not at you. :lol: Sorry if it came across that way. And that's what we are trying to do, is deal with the powers that be, but I don't think there's any stopping it.

Back
Top Bottom