intelligence of guinea fowl

for the young guinneas not coming out- does your coop have a run attached? i know with mine at that age they were very cautious about coming out, they had a mini run where they were in with the chickens, but fenced off, i just let them figure it out- then later they were allowed in with the chickens and eventually they roosted in a close tree. if it were me, i would have a little fenced area so they could explore when they are ready, but they would be safe. i like the idea of your coop- would love to see pics of it.

i handled my keets too, until they went into the run. They don't interact the same way as chickens, but we love just watching them, they are so aware of everything- and you can see them figuring things out- really has surprised me how they interact, if they see us at night on the porch, they will talk to us in sleepy voices, and if i call 'guinea guinea' they come running talking the whole way,,

celebrate.gif

Thanks to everyone for all the info and ideas.
Robin wanted to see photos of the coop, here they are, I took them this morning, it was a
cold frosty morning. It is not fancy but it should work OK.
I plan on opening the window on the door to let them get in and out, with the addition of a landing board.
This is high enough and with smooth steel siding a coon should not be able to get in.
19230_imgp1648.jpg

19230_imgp1647.jpg

that is so neat- mine won't go into the coop at nite- i am thinking for yours, maybe a temporary fence would make them feel more secure and start coming out- don't think you will have a coon problem the way you have it set up

I think Guineas are very intelligent.

Maybe it depends on where you get your Guineas? Mine are very smart and come back to be locked up. I just walk outside before it starts getting too dark and they are near the cage waiting for me. I don't even lure them with food. They just know.

One time when I was cleaning around their cages and the guineas were loose, I heard them start calling and screaming from the other side of the barn. I went to investigate and found them staring at a feral cat yelling to tell me about it.
As soon as they knew I saw the cat, they went silent and went along eating bugs and seeds in the grass. They were smart enough to know that I would take care of it, so they warned me. Just my 2-cents/experience.

hi everyone- yep- love the way they do seem to work as a unit- you can almost see how they come to a basic conclusion and have committee meetings... they will come to the door and look in, telling us about their concerns

24037_25nov_131zm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom