Interested in getting my first chicks - a few random questions

Wow! Thank all of you for the great replies!

so, Buff Orpingtons are out. I don't want broody hens, in fact the opposite would be nice lol. Sounds like RIR's are on the aggressive end of things.

Wyandottes, barred rocks and Australops seem like a good fit ( cold hardy, good layers, not too broody) then right?

Egg color is of no concern keesmom, they'll be going in my frying pan daily :)

Mareks was the vaccination I was talking about yes. It's like $1 a bird at the hatchery I found close by. (purely poultry) They seem to have all the breeds you guys have recommended.

Braxton, thanks for the 1st aid recommendation! A great Idea.

The hatchery sells a minimum of 3, so I figured I'd get 6 total. probably 2 different breeds and hope for the best. the gold laced wyandottes look cool, so probably 3 of them and maybe 3 Australops...still open to suggestions but glad I started this thread. the Buff's/RIR's would have been a big mistake I'm guessing.

I was leaning away from deep liter method too actually. One neighbor (though gave me their blessing) is a bit concerned about an odor issue. I'm outside with my dogs and hour a day minimum, yes, even now!!! lol, so it wouldn't be hard for me to just scoop and compost the waste/pine shavings daily.

Thanks again for the great replies everyone!

Dog poop smells far worse than chicken poop IMO. You might also want to look into fermented feed. It will save on your feed bill, and will give the chickens a healthier flora in their guts. The fermentation process makes the feed easier to digest. Kind of like comparing the nutrition in yogurt to that in the same amount of milk.

I may be the exception but I have heavily disliked my wyandotte, she is a poor layer and is my noisiest bird... however you should really get a bird that you like the look, disposition and abilities of, They lay close to 200 eggs a year and some say they are good winter layers, after all maybe I have a dud lol. I also should mention that she believes she's a rooster, she crows daily (well tries to at least) and is quite domineering like a rooster could be to everyone in the flock.

I may be the exception but I have heavily disliked my wyandotte, she is a poor layer and is my noisiest bird... however you should really get a bird that you like the look, disposition and abilities of, They lay close to 200 eggs a year and some say they are good winter layers, after all maybe I have a dud lol. I also should mention that she believes she's a rooster, she crows daily (well tries to at least) and is quite domineering like a rooster could be to everyone in the flock. 

That's so interesting. While I'm fairly certain my Wyandotte was the last to start laying (out of same aged leghorns, buffs and barred rock) she lays 4-5 times a week.
Also, she is the lowest on the pecking order. Very quiet and docile. And is the smallest of all my girls.

thanks for the new replies!

hmmm, maybe you do have a dud? lol

What a tough choice. I certainly don't want very noisy hens either. Australops seem to have only gotten positive reviews in terms of my criteria...I can of course ask the hatchery too, but want to have many opinions prior to contacting them.

Do you like them for their look? There are other breeds that are laced too, mine was a okay layer when she was laying, she wasn't awful but just didn't fit what I like about the others. maybe you could get 3 australorps 2 wyandottes and another breed?

Have you looked at Dominique? I absolutely love their personalities, color, feather quality, personality, foraging ability, personality. Egg size not the greatest, but they have great personalities!

Hi Braxton and Lazy Gardener!

I haven't looked into Dominiques...

I do like how Wyandottes look (Buff Orp is probably my favorite looking breed) but looks ranks very low on my list of priorities lol.

1.) Cold Hardy (being in northern IL I can only consider cold hardy breeds)
2.) Egg production (the only reason I'm really getting chickens is eggs. Fertilizer is a nice by product, and I do love animials, but I'm in this for the eggs lol)
3.) Non- Broody (would be nice to have a non-broody breed as I'm not looking to hatch or multiply the flock right now)
4.) friendly/ quiet (this would be nice for dealing and handling them and help to keep neighbors happy with noise)

from the feedback so far it seems Australops and Wyandottes may fit those 4 criteria best. If not, I'm all ears :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Chantecler, Buckeyes and Faverolles are all very cold resistant and lay really well.

The Faverolles is a French breed of chicken. The breed was developed in the 1860s in north-central France, in the vicinity of the villages of Houdan and Faverolles. Wikipedia

Primary use: ornamental
Egg production (annual): 240
Egg size: Medium
Temperament: Gentle, Docile
Recognized variety: Salmon, White
Egg color: Light brown, Pinkish

The Buckeye is a breed of chicken originating in the U.S. state of Ohio. Created in the late 19th century, Buckeyes are the only American Poultry Association standard breed of chicken known to have been ... Wikipedia

Primary use: dual-purpose meat/eggs
Egg production (annual): 200
Egg size: Medium
Temperament: Forager
Recognized variety: Mahogany red
Egg color: Brown

The Chantecler is a breed of chicken originating in Canada. The Chantecler was developed in the early 20th century, at the Abbey of Notre-Dame du Lac in Oka, Quebec. It is extremely cold-resistant, and is suitable for both egg and meat production. Wikipedia

Primary use: dual-purpose meat/eggs
Egg production (annual): 200
Egg size: Large
Temperament: Gentle
Recognized variety: Partridge, White
Egg color: Brown

Hi Fox,

I'm pretty new to the chicken game (less than a year), but I would recommend red sex link or red star hens. They are the friendliest hens I have, and they are egg laying machines. Also, where I live, western Massachusetts, they are one of the easier breeds to find for sale. And they are doing fine in this New England winter.

Back
Top Bottom