Interested in getting the laws changed in Des Moines, WA to be more accessible.

Livipedia

Songster
6 Years
Nov 25, 2013
I recently moved to Des Moines, WA from seattle and I learned the law here is crazy inaccessible. Only rich folks with tons of money and landland w be able to make it work. Something like 20k square foot requirements?!? It's insanely prohibitive compared to neighboring towns. Many of my neighbors keep hens but of course we would rather be loud and proud! The city seems to have a don't ask don't tell policy thus far. I have one neighbor that is kind of a busybody, though.

I recently moved to Des Moines, WA from seattle and I learned the law here is crazy inaccessible. Only rich folks with tons of money and landland w be able to make it work. Something like 20k square foot requirements?!? It's insanely prohibitive compared to neighboring towns. Many of my neighbors keep hens but of course we would rather be loud and proud! The city seems to have a don't ask don't tell policy thus far. I have one neighbor that is kind of a busybody, though.

20,000 sq ft is just under 0.5 acre. While that is a decent sized lot and may be on the large side for your area, you might be surprised! Check the auditor's website for your county - it should list the size of your lot.

Hi! We are in the same situation in Des Moines, are you still interested in trying to get the laws changed? I've been able to get in touch with one of the city council members here about other stuff and he has been very responsive, I think if we can get a little organized we might be able to push something through. All the neighboring cities, not just Seattle, have much more progressive rules about Urban agriculture. I wish I saw your post last year! I'm new to BYC. Really hope to hear from you!!

Back
Top Bottom