interested in learning about Muskovy genetics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Terri O, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all--I have a flock of muskovy ducks and have many questions about genetics. Anyone on here good at that? Since I only frequent the WI group I would love a PM so we could talk!
    Thanks--TerriO

2. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, i know a lot about muscovy genetics ( just to point out its a c not a k) And i'll be happy to answer any questions, also muscovy duck central and ugly ducks farm are good websites to use in looking at muscovy genetics, i hope i can help :D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  3. Terri O

Thanks Buck for the correction and also the offer of information! Here is what I am seeing...
    I started with all white Muscovies. After breeding them for a few years I got a "blue" drake from someone that couldnt keep him. The next year I started getting interesting stuff happening with the babies. This was about 15 years ago...
    So I decide that the "look" I want is a duck that has white wings, a black back, a black cap on it's head. I guess you would call them "Pied"?
    I started selling off all my ducks that dont fit my ideal.
    So the last couple of years I have added a few chocolates. Not much else. HERE IS THE QUESTION--I have been noticing some babies that look normal in the down but then feather out in stripes and then go to adult plumage. What is the significance in the stripes? Is there one? It seams that the striped ones turn out black and white. Although, this year some are turning out brown and white!

Many people that have come by to purchase ducks have wanted these striped birds(cause they look so cool) and I have told them that they do not stay striped. I have noticed no pattern...although I do not separate birds but let them pick their own mates...any ideas?
    (what a mess? Right?)
    [​IMG]
    Almost ideal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ideal babies
    THis is all I can show you right now as the rest of the pics are on another computer. I will take some of the current young-stock tomorrow.
    My main interest is why are these striped feathers showing up; why do they turn to solid black or brown; where do they come from; why do solid babies end up looking just like the striped ones as adults? (then do they carry the striped genetics?)

Way too many questions....can you help?
    Thanks so much for looking in to my query!

TerriO

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Your striped birds sound like barreds since they don't keep the striping. Do you have any pictures of them? Not normally a fan of pieds, but yours look awesome! Thought they were anconas at first.

5. Buck Oakes

Quote:you have great ducks! but also some of them look like hybrids to me, like you adults, do you put them with pekins or rouens, because that ideal adult doesn't look like a muscovy, was it young and didn't have its red come in yet? Also i completely agree it sounds like you have barred ducks, which is actually extraordinary! because barred ducks can be very hard to get especially in that color range! But yes barred is genetic so it passes on, so even in a non barred bird the gene is still there. The barred pattern fades around when they either first molt or when they grow all the way up. If the babies are yellow with a tinted colored tail like a blue, black, or chocolate tint and the baby has a black beak but they rest of the whole body is yellow, then the baby will be barred and not turn white but instead blue, black , or chocolate.

6. Terri O

Thanks...at least now I know which ones will turn barred!
    You are right about that "ideal" bird in the first pic. That is the "mule" and the first one that looked like that. He has a funny voice and I do not know if he is sterile or not. I read somewhere that when they cross they are.

I will get some pics tomorrow morning...my camera was lost for a little bit! The babies are starting to lose their stripes now...
    Thanks for the responses and compliments on my ducks. TErriO

7. Buck Oakes

Okay and yes sadly mules are infertile, but sometimes female mules can have babies but its very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very slim, but if they do have babies it couldn't be from another mule :(

8. Terri O

Darn....he is so pretty and friendy. I think he cam from when I had Pekins for a short time.
    Here are some of the pics I took today: Of course now I have more questions!

THe female in the back is one of the first barred ones I bred. She shows the barring every time she molts. I would like to get them to STAY barred...is this possible?
    [​IMG]

Here is the one I wanted to take the pic of when I posted the Mule pic.
    [​IMG]

This is that female again. SHe doesnt have the black cap that I like but she does keep the bars pretty long!
    [​IMG]

One of the brown barred
    [​IMG]

Brown with cap
    [​IMG]

Pretty sure this is the same brown barred. I dont care for the mottled color down the neck however.
    [​IMG]

Another older girl that shows barring during molt
    [​IMG]

This is what I might worked toward next--brown or black with a ring-neck!
    [​IMG]

I checked out the beaks...I have dark with solid pumage or barred and light with both also! This isnt the pic I wanted of the group of sibs that show this clearly!
    [​IMG]

I think this is the head of the bird in the prev pic on the right. Almost looks like a Mule doesnt it?
    [​IMG]
    I have to scoot to work but I will explain my thoughts tonight!
    TerriO

ETA: my descriptions

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  9. Terri O

Any thoughts?
    I am wondering if I separate and breed barred to barred what would happen? Can someone explain how the barred genetics work? THX--TerriO

10. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    @learycow

She will have an answer to this question. Not familiar with barred genetics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by