Interesting Chick Colors

May 30, 2023
Hey all I just hatched 41 little coturnix quail from Meyer Hatchery’s “Rare Assorted Coturnix Quail” eggs and I got two chicks that are almost strawberry blonde color and I was curious if anyone else could tell me what these are likely to be? We got a ton of colors in our 41 hatchlings and an 80% hatch rate so I’m super happy but very curious about what color all these babies will end up being. Specifically about these strawberry babies. I put them next to a photo of my pale yellow chick and my red brown chick all taken in the same five minute span in the same spot so the lighting is the same

Attachments

• EEE6910F-A07F-41B8-952E-480759B4D5EF.jpeg
    EEE6910F-A07F-41B8-952E-480759B4D5EF.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 35
It's too early to tell. There are several possibilities. If you post pictures in a couple more weeks when they have some feathers we will have a better guess.

It's too early to tell. There are several possibilities. If you post pictures in a couple more weeks when they have some feathers we will have a better guess.
I know I just wanted to see if anyone had guesses for the strawberry blonde chick or had seen any like it before

I’ve been impatiently playing the guess that color game with a batch of 20, now three weeks old, it is fun but also interesting to see how off (or on) your guesses are! I still have one bird I don’t have a clue on but everybody else has figured out their final colors (now it is just determining male/female on the non-feather sexable!).

In general (and there are a ton of caveats!), a Tibetan/Rosetta chick is going to be red/black plus or minus stripes (your bottom right looks like a Rosetta roux (scarlet)) and might have a yellow belly/bib. Wild type/pharaoh are mostly brown, a little yellow and black stripes. Your fawn/Italian are mostly yellow with lighter stripes. All yellow chicks are often English white or silver. Haven’t raised pansy/calico/sparkly yet so no experience there, same with ginger/black/other unique colors. The fee dilution gene makes your browns/reds into gray/black and your fee chicks tend to be a pale yellow vs a non-fee chick (the bottom one looks darker in the picture so the top one could be fee). Roux turns the whole bird a reddish tone, your one with the reddish brown stripes is likely a roux (and as it is sex linked recessive, it is also likely female). Gray or charcoal stripes usually indicate a silver/blue/Andalusian type bird. And then you combine them all and it really gets confusing! But it is quite fun too!

I’ve been impatiently playing the guess that color game with a batch of 20, now three weeks old, it is fun but also interesting to see how off (or on) your guesses are! I still have one bird I don’t have a clue on but everybody else has figured out their final colors (now it is just determining male/female on the non-feather sexable!).

In general (and there are a ton of caveats!), a Tibetan/Rosetta chick is going to be red/black plus or minus stripes (your bottom right looks like a Rosetta roux (scarlet)) and might have a yellow belly/bib. Wild type/pharaoh are mostly brown, a little yellow and black stripes. Your fawn/Italian are mostly yellow with lighter stripes. All yellow chicks are often English white or silver. Haven’t raised pansy/calico/sparkly yet so no experience there, same with ginger/black/other unique colors. The fee dilution gene makes your browns/reds into gray/black and your fee chicks tend to be a pale yellow vs a non-fee chick (the bottom one looks darker in the picture so the top one could be fee). Roux turns the whole bird a reddish tone, your one with the reddish brown stripes is likely a roux (and as it is sex linked recessive, it is also likely female). Gray or charcoal stripes usually indicate a silver/blue/Andalusian type bird. And then you combine them all and it really gets confusing! But it is quite fun too!
The guessing is so fun but I know realistically I have to be patient

Okay my chicks are two weeks old now and the strawberry blonde chicks look like this now, any guesses? I think they have the same feather pattern even though one has much darker feathers than the other

Attachments

• IMG_5674.jpeg
    IMG_5674.jpeg
    620.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5625.jpeg
    IMG_5625.jpeg
    437.3 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom