Interesting Duckling Observations

robbyvg

Chirping
Sep 3, 2021
Middle TN
I am a duck novice. Only in the past year have I discovered the awesomeness of ducks.

Still, I have some observations of ducklings from Metzer. 1 Buff, 2 Blue Swedes, 4 Khakis, 2 Golden Layers and 1 Cayuga.

I have tried in the past year to see what will calm a duckling down. I've spent a lot of my attention to pay attention to what they do, how they do it and who they are.

--- After reading a post here of how someone's duck likes their feet rubbed.... I had to test. The person called the duck a "weird" duck for liking that (I could tell they LOVE their ducks! - MUCH love <3) Love "weird" ducks and people ;)

This test was too easy. Even with few day old ducklings. I found if I held them stable, they would try to get away or jump at first - as per usual. But, even with a distressed duckling, I lightly caressed the tops of their feet. Light, slow, small strokes. Within a few seconds 90% of the ducklings sat/laid down in my hand. Just after caressing their feet for a few seconds! Cool trick I keep using now.

--- If imprinting is done with peers in a box (from a hatchery): Yes, they will be very attached to each other. However, if you spend a lot of 1-on-1 time and leave them alone for a few minutes and then pay more attention to them right after, they begin to adapt and almost imprint on the larger creature they see (us).

--- Though ducklings hate to be on their back for the most part, if you caress their fluffy bellies, while they stand up (of course), they almost can't help but enjoy it and they chatter their bills as if eating (if done softly).

--- Loners. Out of the five female 2-week old ducklings I have, one is a loner and has been since day 1. She is a Golden Layer 300. She has another female Golden Layer 300 with her (same age - all) along with a Buff and 2 Khakis. However, this girl is always in a different corner or a few inches away from the sleep pile. She is not picked on - I have paid attention. She simply prefers human cuddles and though she likes her other duckling friends, she doesn't love them. Loner from Day 1! Finally witnessed it for myself.

These are just a few observations most of you duck veterans will know. I am discovering them and thought I would share!

Of course, now we need some pictures of these cuties. :pop
I will work on that. My phone recently died so I have to use an old one for the time being and it is my only camera. But I will work on it. :) I'd love to show them off.

Another duckling observation:

Most people say ducks cannot control their pooping and just do it whenever. True in a lot of ways. However, I pick each one of these ducklings up for a cuddle every day. The cuddle session lasts 10-30 minutes for each duckling (depending on circumstances). Every single duckling waits until a set them back in the brooder, then they immediately poop. Happens nearly every time.

So, I think ducklings at least can hold their poopie at will for a short time.

Anyone else had this experience?

Last edited:
I will work on that. My phone recently died so I have to use an old one for the time being and it is my only camera. But I will work on it. :) I'd love to show them off.

Another duckling observation:

Most people say ducks cannot control their pooping and just do it whenever. True in a lot of ways. However, I pick each one of these ducklings up for a cuddle every day. The cuddle session lasts 10-30 minutes for each duckling (depending on circumstances). Every single duckling waits until a set them back in the brooder, then they immediately poop. Happens nearly every time.

So, I think ducklings at least can hold their poopie at will for a short time.

Anyone else had this experience
Well, my duck always poops on the vet. Every time. ;-)

I'd
Well, my duck always poops on the vet. Every time. ;-)
I'd guess, because like all animals (including us), being in a strange environment with probing strangers causes extra stress... and loss of the poopie hold. Just a guess.

When my ducklings are comfortable with me they wait until I put them down - because they know it won't be too long - and then they expel their stinky demons!

The doctor can stress me out, especially a prison "doctor". Remember, that is what the animals feel like. There is no "chirp, chirp" from the Doc. Just grabbing, twisting, cold surfaces and a stranger doing it. I'd shit myself too. Am I allowed to say/type that? We'll see. :p

I'd

I'd guess, because like all animals (including us), being in a strange environment with probing strangers causes extra stress... and loss of the poopie hold. Just a guess.

When my ducklings are comfortable with me they wait until I put them down - because they know it won't be too long - and then they expel their stinky demons!

The doctor can stress me out, especially a prison "doctor". Remember, that is what the animals feel like. There is no "chirp, chirp" from the Doc. Just grabbing, twisting, cold surfaces and a stranger doing it. I'd shit myself too. Am I allowed to say/type that? We'll see. :p
It is definitely stress. We joke that it is retaliation.

I rarely handle my ducks, but when I need to they don't poop on me. But they do when I put them down. They are adults though. When they were babies they slept on and pooped on my feet a lot.

It is definitely stress. We joke that it is retaliation.

I rarely handle my ducks, but when I need to they don't poop on me. But they do when I put them down. They are adults though. When they were babies they slept on and pooped on my feet a lot.
Very interesting!

I'm sure the duck is showing you and everyone displeasure when they poop on a stranger prodding 'em. I would.

Here is another viewpoint I wanted to see. I have never had my ducklings around on the floor by my feet a lot. I have seen it and it is adorable and natural. When they are that comfy and half asleep they probably expel mindlessly :)

Another brood and I will try walking around the house with them more. Thank you so much for making me think about new ways of rearing and being close. Right at the feet. I wish I could be still enough for that! :p

What kind of ducks have you raised?

Very interesting!

I'm sure the duck is showing you and everyone displeasure when they poop on a stranger prodding 'em. I would.

Here is another viewpoint I wanted to see. I have never had my ducklings around on the floor by my feet a lot. I have seen it and it is adorable and natural. When they are that comfy and half asleep they probably expel mindlessly :)

Another brood and I will try walking around the house with them more. Thank you so much for making me think about new ways of rearing and being close. Right at the feet. I wish I could be still enough for that! :p

What kind of ducks have you raised?
Only cayuga and welsh harlequin since day old babies. Then I adopted a crested pekin, khaki campbell, dark khaki, and another welsh as adults. I've had ducks for nearly 7 years now, and I still have my first duck. I've spent crazy amounts of time observing them as well. I basically lived in their brooder with them. Then I moved into the barn/garden with them. I sometimes go inside the house for coffee.

Back
Top Bottom