Interesting Fart/Fairy Egg

CrazyCrttr75

Free Ranging
Apr 21, 2018
Robertson County, TN
As I have read on here multiple times, most Fart Eggs don’t have a yolk. I collected eggs last night and came across this one. This is the tiniest egg that I have ever seen. None of my girls have ever laid an egg close to this small before. I said, “oh, it must be a fart egg. I wonder what the inside looks like?” The shell was very hard, almost like a pebble. I posted in a different thread but thought I would post my own and share with y’all.
5573678A-C1A3-427C-9BFD-6B98A7455C57.jpeg

Is barely the size of a dime. I wish I would have thought to weigh and actually measure it. I am kicking myself for not doing that.
AF3221AE-EC48-4CDE-A6C4-02F29B27441A.jpeg

It truly is a teeny tiny egg, yolk and all. Anyone else have one like this before?

April Fool's day was yesterday, not today, so I'll assume you are serious. What breed laid that?

I've seen some really small eggs from a pullet's first eggs but not that small. With them being really small a pullet can lay one with a pretty thick egg shell. So that part seems possible, if unusual.

But looking at the size and color of the shell my guess is that you have a songbird egg, though it's unusual for them to have a really thick shell. Do you have a practical joker around, especially since yesterday was April Fools?

April Fool's day was yesterday, not today, so I'll assume you are serious. What breed laid that?

I've seen some really small eggs from a pullet's first eggs but not that small. With them being really small a pullet can lay one with a pretty thick egg shell. So that part seems possible, if unusual.

But looking at the size and color of the shell my guess is that you have a songbird egg, though it's unusual for them to have a really thick shell. Do you have a practical joker around, especially since yesterday was April Fools?

I promise that it is not a joke. I didn't even think about it being April Fool's Day. I swear I am being serious. I can tell, for the most part, which egg comes from most of my girls. I have 14 hens. 4 Australorp, 3 EE's, 1 Andalusian, 1 Ameracauna, 1 Austra White, 1 Calico Princess, 1 Black Copper Maran, 1 Buff Orpington and 1 Welsummer. The only ones that I struggle with knowing which lays what are the Australorps. I have been getting 10-12 eggs a day here lately. I figured the Australorps were all laying, just not daily, so that is why it is difficult for me to know which does what. I guess if I had to guess, it would be one of them starting back up in their egg laying? I really don't know. The egg was in the nest box with others. I don't think it would be from any other kind of bird because the girls are in and out of the coop so often. I would think another kind of bird wouldn't feel safe. And no, no practical joker around. I truly am being serious.
ETA: My Australorps are the oldest of my flock. They are just about 2 yrs old. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Last edited:
Since the clocks went forward here for the summer solstice my Rhodie of a year old has laid two very tiny eggs and when I cracked one open tonight it had no yolk. She laid at her normal time in the morning. Also I lost a chicken the day before this so would that upset her. The picture of the two eggs, the bottom egg is about the size of a pigeon egg

Attachments

• IMG_7212.JPG
    IMG_7212.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7182.JPG
    IMG_7182.JPG
    399.5 KB · Views: 4
The shell was dark brown with red spots, the next day it was just a dark brown. No egg today although she lay in the best for a couple if hours. Why do they call them fairy or fart eggs 😮

What's weird about it is the blackish color of the shell.
Fart eggs can have immature ova(yolk) in them.
If that, “what is weird about it is the color” was in reference to mine, I agree. It was almost gray in color with darker spots. At first I thought it was a bad, as in rotten, egg. No smell tho. It is truly the weirdest thing I have ever seen.

If that, “what is weird about it is the color” was in reference to mine, I agree. It was almost gray in color with darker spots. At first I thought it was a bad, as in rotten, egg. No smell tho. It is truly the weirdest thing I have ever seen.
Yes, it was, sorry should have quoted you to be clear from the other.
I think the shell color is why we might suspect a wild bird 'deposit'.
Very odd, might just be an incredible one off...and forever a mystery.

Back
Top Bottom