Interesting Feather Growth

CrazyCluckingChick

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2023
Hi all!
Some of my older chickens who went through their first molt a few months ago have grown new feathers that look like this (see pic).
Screenshot_20240304_160022_Photos.jpg

I was curious if their feathers are normal since my younger ones' feathers (who haven't molted yet) don't look like this. Are the feathers this way from extra grooming?
They're happy, healthy, laying well and get fresh greens, squash and BSF larvae as treats. Approximately three years old and spoiled. We're in a hot climate area. About a month ago, I moved our pullets into the coop with them. They all get along fine.
Thanks! 😊

I think you need to check for depluming mites. Sometimes that wispy look to the feathers is the first sign.

Mrs K
They're all clean, very healthy, no feather loss, no mites.

I've had birds before, but I've never seen feathers change shape and appearance. Obviously they're impacted by diet, health, environment, etc, but this is the second time I've seen it happen so I was wondering if it was a common thing.

The first time I saw feathers change was when a sick chicken we had was put on pain meds and her feathers started curling. When she finished the meds, her feathers flattened back out after a week.

These beauties' post-molt feathers grew in so differently than their first set. They're stiffer/stronger and fanned out at the tops instead of together. I'm wondering if it's their diet, change of weather or simply what happens after a molt. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm going to check out the shredder gene, thanks.

What is the protein of their feed?
And what ratio do treats (including veggies) make up their diet?

The most common reason for poor feathering is low protein. A lot of owners (not so much on BYC) start with a 16% feed and then dilute it further with treats.

But if diet is a 20% feed, and treats make up less than 10% of their diet, then you can rule that out.

Could be something to do with the 'blue' gene...lavender birds often have a 'shredder' gene, IIRC.
You nailed it, thank you! From what I've read about the shredder gene, this is exactly what's occurring. D*mn I love this site - so much awesome information from everyone here. Tysm!!!

Back
Top Bottom