interesting mutation -- naked chick

amazondoc

Cracked Egghead
12 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Lebanon, TN
Hey folks --

This little girl hatched two days ago. At hatch she appeared more naked than she does now.

She appears to have the "n" gene. This is a sex-linked gene -- which means that only the females will show the trait unless you work REALLY hard at giving a male chick two copies of the gene. It also means that the gene is passed through the rooster if both parents appear normal.

Since I have hatched more than 10 chicks from this rooster already (which all hatched appearing normal), I suspect that this is a spontaneous mutation (a true sport) -- not something passed from this particular rooster. But I can't prove that one way or the other.

You can see several pics of the little girl here:

http://eggheadhill.smugmug.com/gallery/8609855_DaZph

And you can see a bit more info about the "n" gene here:

http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/pdf_extract/29/10/371 -- scroll down to see photos -- the chick hatched out looking like B

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/469485

Quote:
If she agrees to grow up, we'll find out! If this truly is the n gene, then she only has a roughly 50% chance of living past the first few weeks. We Shall See!

Wow, she looks more like song birds do when they hatch out vs chickens . . . . that is a VERY interesting mutation . . . .

Are there any detrimental effects of the mutation? or just funky/slow feathering?

(I admit I did not read up on the two following articles since I am attempting to prepare to fall asleep and want to read them when I can devote attention to them)

Quote:
Yes, it is semi-lethal. Roughly 50% die before hatching, and roughly 50% of those that do hatch die in the first few weeks. I haven't seen any pics of survivors, so I don't know how well she may eventually feather out!

I'm going to bed too!

Aw, so cute! I love that picture where both are facing the camera, I just wanna scoop up the little naked one and kiss it all over! Ahem....

I have a question- the pictures in the link seem to show the wing feathers are very sparse while yours seems to be growing them out at a normal rate(it does look a twin of chick in C except for the wings).. or is that included in the expression spectrum for n? Do you know if anything regarding n mentions scales on the legs? This chick appears to have normal scales on legs/toes. Some naked mutations also affect leg scales- scaleless makes for very naked chickens but their legs and toes are also devoid of scales.

Are you going to hatch more eggs from the rooster? 10+ can seem to be a decent sample size but then if it's something sex linked then that halves the sample size roughly by excluding all the cockerels?

I'm genuinely interested being updated on this chick's growth and any results of breedings with the same parents of this chick. Sure hope it survives to maturity!

Last edited:
There's a lady in Yucaipa that hatched a Modern Game that had an almost completely naked neck, head and all, but plumage on the body. I should ask her if it survived... I told her not to get rid of it, that I wanted it if she didn't, but I have not heard back from her.

I have GOT to get a camera. I had one hatch that looked very very similar to that but not Quite so naked. Also the few feathers it did have on the wings once they started growing, looked/looks frizzled. It's still alive. I just assumed it was half frizzle and that's what frizzles look like! I had no idea! How strange...Poultry is soooo interesting!

Back
Top Bottom