Intergatration Process Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WalkerH, Jun 21, 2011.

1. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two brown leghorn pullets who are about 9 weeks old and then six or seven GLW pullets who are 14 weeks old. I am taking the roos, seven in total, to the Amish this weekend and would like to integrate the flock soon. At the moment the leghorns are living with the ducks who they have grown up with. But seeing as the ducks are both boys I don't want any attempt at breeding to happen between the ducks and pullets so they will be separated. I also am processing our Cornish Rock X this week, probably Friday. My question is should I wait to integrate or should all the changes and the pecking order being re-established be a good time to slip the two pullets in? The run is 25x35 so I don't think that should be a problem size wise, and the coop 10x8. I was going to build a small box to place in there in case the GLW start to pick on the leghorns and they can run in there. What do you all think?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Most people will tell you all the chickens should be around the same size. Sometimes it helps if you can house them where they can see eachother but not touch. You'll be better off sneaking the new ones in at night. There will be squabbling, how much will depend on the actual chickens. My little Serama bantams kicked the bejeebers out of my ISA chicks (who were bigger but younger). But my ISA's readily accepted a lone Serama chick who was quite a bit smaller than them. Just make sure to keep an eye out to make sure no one is getting picked on too much.

3. lauriej57

lauriej57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    If you have a medium size dog crate, you can try putting the leghorns in it, inside the run, so the others can see them.

If not, I would give the integration a try anyway. Do it at a time when you will be around for at least a few hours to keep an eye on them. I've had at least a couple of leghorns for the last several years, and my experience with them, especially when they are young, is that they are quite flighty, they fly well, and they aren't afraid of much! They are very good at protecting themselves, or running/flying away from trouble. Try putting a few things into the run, and the coop to give them a hidey place to get away from the others if they need it.

I have never had luck integrating by adding new ones in at night. When they wake up in the morning, they all know those new ones weren't there when went to sleep, and then there is no human around to intervene if needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by