intergrating new chickens into a flock

gordy123

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 28, 2009
falls village, ct
We picked up chickens on Sunday. Mostly mutts of EE, 3 rocks, so there are like 8 new hens. Our original flock and roo will not allow the other birds into "the palace" (it's what I call our hen house) they run them off. Why? How long will this last? Any advice appreciated.

I'm kinda new at this myself, but I did introduce one new pullet into a group of 4 hens and they were merciless. As bad as girls on a school playground. I ended up sectioning her off in the run where they could interact through chicken wire but she could get away. This took 3 weeks and even now 2 months later if the ladies get upset they'll peck the newbie. Weirdest of all, the lowest of the pecking order, our gentle australorp, is the meanest. Go figure. Maybe you can section off a bit for the newbies. Give it time. Good luck.

We sectioned of part of the coop and put the new chicks in there for several week. We would let them all out in the run together as long a we were there to supervise. Give it time they will all come together.

Everyone has given good advice. I too, believe you must separate them and introduce them slowly. It took me weeks to introduce my pullets to an established flock and then careful supervision when they could not free range. Separation by chicken wire where they can see each other is a good idea so they can get used to each other. I had one older hen who was relentless in her brutal attacks on the younger ones and I finally had to re-homed her. I have no doubt the established ones will kill the new birds.

Others will weigh in on this and there is much on the site about introducing new chickens to your established flcok. I do not have a rooster so I don't know if that would have made a difference.

The good news is that everyone gets along just fine now, although it did take several weeks to accomplish. Well worth it in the end. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom