1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

intergrating younger pullets in with older ones

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vinniepoch, Apr 16, 2009.

1. vinniepoch

vinniepoch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Mt. Shasta, CA
    hi, my wife wants to get more chicks and add them to our 19 that are 8 weeks old. can this be done?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Day old chicks? No, I'd never add those to eight week olds. They'll be pecked to death, most likely.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with speckledhen. Also the chicks will need a heat source where the 8 week old ones should be pretty well feathered.

4. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Here is what I done. I kept my new baby chicks in the house (of course:love) for 3 weeks and then took them out in a cage that had a baby waterer and feeder in it and let the others get use to them being in there with them. Then when they were pretty close to the same size I let them out with the others. I stayed out there with them for over an hour to make sure that they were not attacked or hurt. There will be a little pecking order going on but that should be all. If you dont have a cage for them you can always make a cage for the babys that is made from a couple of 4 x 4's and some chicken wire. Oh, i forgot to tell you that I did let the babies out for a minute of two each day until I let them out for good. Also, dont forget their heat lamp. I just made sure that the babies didnt get to hot. I kept a thermometor in there with then.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by