Intermingling Two Different Hatches

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Girl43, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Girl43

Girl43 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    Nova Scotia
    So, I have three-two week old turkeys in a brooder box. They are doing well (after we got the eating thing figured out!). My next hatch started arriving this morning. My question to you is: CAN I PUT THE NEWBIES IN WITH THE TWO WEEK OLD GUYS? I don't want them picked on or anything. Is there anyone that has successfully pulled this off or do I have to keep them separate til they head outside in a month and a half? I appreciate any advice you can give and thank you.

2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    You can try it. Remember that the new ones need a higher temperature than do the 2 week old poults. Watch them closely to see if the new ones are accepted, if not be prepared to quickly separate them. If they are accepted, you gain the advantage of the older poults teaching the new ones about eating.

I have added new hatches to week old poults without any problems as long as there isn't any crowding.

3. Calebs Farm

Calebs Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    We have 18 Rio Grande turkey poults in a 100 gallon Rubbermaid trough. All between 1week and 7 weeks with no issues. We have one heat lamp on one side at 90 degrees. It just gets crazy when we add hard boiled chicken egg yoaks as a snack.

4. ANMwoodducks

ANMwoodducks Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    They should be fine, i raised rios for five years and did that several times, things you need to watch out for is the new poults arent as strong so when they all lay down to sleep sometimes the older birds can push around and trap the younger ones that may still be weak from hatching. I never had fighting issues, turkeys at that age accept each other really well. The heat shouldnt be to big of an issue with several birds all together they will help keep the younger ones plenty warm so long as they dont have to much room to move around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by