internal pip but no shell pip

JLaw

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Forestville NY
So day 21 was 8-26-13. I've had a few hatch and helped 2 that piped and zipped some but now I have one that pips inside but not breaking egg at all I noticed it last night when I checked for movements. My hygrometer was reading 6% lower than what it actually is I'm worried about it being shrinkwraped. Should I help it or let it keep trying. I candle it and see movement in air sac some but looks like a wing flapping maybe membrane.

i think i remember talking to you before! glad to see your still hatching!

different people have different opinions on this, i personally do not help anything that does not externally pip... i usually wont help at all, but occasionally on a rare breed, or a project breeding i will. some people say do not help the hatch at all, there is something else wrong with the chick. so the decision is yours, but here's a link that will help you if you do decide to help it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Thanks for the link. These are my ee-oe's i'm hatching now. I've hatched other eggs from people and i'm only getting like a 50% hatch rate. One part is my hygrometer has been off I did the salt method on another and now have it in the bator. I think I may help this chick tomorrow if no progress is made. Out of like 25 eggs that made it to day 18 only 13 hatched. I have eggs I've saved past few days for another batch. I'm putting my roo down next week and he's my blue gene chicken so trying to get as many hens as I can so i'm assisting when I really don't want to.

I need to get this bator in a more controlled area. Right now I keep it in living room in the corner. Not ideal but lets me see and only spot I can regulate the temp in house via ac or heaters.

Well I helped it and I killed it by doing so. I opened up the air cell to see how it was going. One part of shell broke further than I wanted to and broke part of the inner membrane. It started bleeding some so I put back in bator well I didn't set it right and some of the blood was going to its mouth and it drowned. The wife is more upset than me cause I would have had to cull it any ways. It had cross beak I could see already real good.

sorry about your loss. i will say its easier for me if they die in the egg than if i have to cull a chick. i have never gotten over that, and ive had to cull several.

Back
Top Bottom