Internal Pip Problems

duck-a-doo

Hatching
May 16, 2021
Hi, I’m new to backyard chickens and hatching duck eggs. I’ve been incubating mallard eggs for the past 35 days. Yesterday I finally chipped away at some of the shell over the air cell. I keep the membrane moist and can see SOOO much movement inside. However, they still have not even internally pipped. I can still see veins on the membrane. Should I help them out more? I don’t want to force them out because I know the yolk needs to absorb. Please help! I’m really worried 😢

I wouldn't force it. If there moving and have not internally piped there not ready. By opening the shell before they internally pip allot of bacteria can get to the baby. Allot of crazy things can happen during incubation that can make them take longer (short power outages inconstant temp's in your home ect. If your still seeing veining there just not ready. Other things to think about are you counting the day you put them in the incubator it takes the egg time to get to hatching temperature. My runners I hardly ever catch them in a internal pip. I just all of a sudden find a exterior pip as the first sign. 35 dose seem awful long though so maybe others have better advice.

Back
Top Bottom