Internal pip with movement in air sac and external pip at wrong end?

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
Today is day twenty and I candled my eggs. One egg has movement in the air sac, and then I noticed there was an external pip, and a beak at the wrong end.

Could it be that it popped a hole into the air sac with a foot? What is this thing doing?

I can't tell you why you see what you see, the chick may have just not rotated, but I can tell you that if you remove the egg from the high humidity incubator for candling you are likely to induce hatching issues.

I am using a home-made incubator, the vent hole is large enough for me to slide my hand in with a pocket LED light and view the egg through the window. No opening here :)

I'm not sure about the chick and the pipping, but I'd love to see some photos of your incubator and candling process...

I had to assist a wrong end pip earlier today. All went well. If you see the membrane turning brown around the pip, it may be time for action.

Virginiachicken - pictures of my setup should be in my profile. My phone doesn't work well with inserting photos in posts.

The little one popped out sometime last night, other than being still attached to the shell by the cord, it is doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom