Internal pipping of Pekin duck eggs

cathydyson

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 13, 2014
I have pekin duck eggs that are due to hatch, today is the 27th day... one of them looks like it has internally pipped. I can see and hear it's tiny little bill tapping on the shell.

How long does it take aproximately after the internal piping to hatch?

I am using a silkie chicken to hatch these duck eggs, do I need to do something about the humidity? Or should I let her do her thing?

It can be up to 24 hours even more for it to externally pip. If you can hear it tapping its trying to make its external pip. They do this when the the oxygen becomes low and the c02 becomes high in the egg. After the external pip it could be up to another 24 hours before it starts to zip and hatch. During this time it needs to complete absorbing the yolk and blood vessels and will also need to rest as hatching is very hard work them. I would leave your silkie be let her do her job and let nature take its course. Try not to take the eggs out from under her or lift her up as this could make the humidity she has built up under herself to escape therefore causing the eggs to shrink wrap. Nature is a wonderful thing.
Wishing you the very best of luck with your hatch :fl

Thank you very much for your feedback, I found it very helpful. I will my hen do what she needs to do, hopefully we'll have some healthy baby ducklings shortly! :)

Back
Top Bottom