Internal Pipping/Shrink wrap HELP Needed!

gitlost80

Trigger Pullet
11 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Reno/Sparks
Good morning everyone. My shipped eggs are due today and all of them had very badly damaged air cells to begin with. I believe some to be shrink wrapped because of it. I am keeping a close eye on them and want to know how long they can stay INTERNALLY pipped, before they break through the actual shell? The air cells are very oddly shaped and when I candled last night, I could see some had broken in to the air cell, but still havent pipped this morning...How long do they stay that way before needing de-shrink wrapping help?

Hi Gitlost,

Oddly shaped aircells are OK as long as they are large enough. In fact, turning the eggs regularly makes the air cells look strange, when the eggs are turned I think the outer membrane is loosened from the shell.

Anyway, the chicks aren't shrink wrapped until the membrane dries on to them. This only happens if the humidity is low during the hatch phase. You get problems if they dry out after they pip before they hatch. To avoid shrink wrapping keep the humidity up and the incubator closed. No candling anymore! If you must open the incubator you can try to add some humidity back in with a spray bottle. But the best advice is to keep it closed.

I keep my bator in the bathroom so if something happens in Lockdown, I can steam the room before opening it. I also use the spray bottle. My humidity is really good, the air cell area is alot bigger than normal and is funky shaped. They are on their sides and I have outlined the aircell so I could set them in a way that it would be to their advantage while hatching. I put them back in the exact spot and position they were in before I pick them up. Just wondering how long it takes from internal pip to external pip....

Back
Top Bottom