Interrupting Egg Lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MakNugget, Sep 23, 2010.

1. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Aye... so I usually drop in before I go to work to check on the girls and hand out treats. I checked via cam to see my first layer working on egg #3 in the nest box this early in the morning. Should I avoid visiting while they are doing their business??? Aye aye aye, I don't want to commit chicken etiquette taboo [​IMG]

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Ha ha I haven't got a cam my poor girls get interupted all the time when I'm home they still give me eggs

3. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    That's good to know. She managed to finish before I went out so it was wonderful to handle my first warm egg!

4. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Yesterday I stood and watched as my SLW got in the nest and settled in. Hoping I'd see the moment, I waited....and waited. She finally got up and left the nest without laying. I came back about a half hour later and there was the egg. I guess she didn't want to be stared at. [​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    We've seen two of our hens actually laying their eggs. They stand up as they're laying, and if you happen to be there and the hen is pointing in the other direction, you can see it come right out! Way cool.

6. cath0617

cath0617 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2014
    my kids love going to check for eggs....do you think this delays them in laying if they were going to lay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by