Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

Pics
Dear BackYardChickens.com,

Last night I arrived home to discover that the hen nesting in the tree in my yard had hatched her eggs but, two of the chicks were on the ground chirping away. I found them in the dark and gently placed them back into the nest without their mother knowing. In the morning the hen was still there however by early afternoon she left the nest leaving one last egg. I lifted the egg and heard the chick within chirping. I took the egg inside the house and placed it under a lamp to keep it warm. Within a half an hour the eggshell start to chip away. I started to panic a bit because I did not know what to do next. Well, I googled the subject and came upon your site and intervention instructions. I nervously but cautious followed your recommendations and by 9:00pm the chick was completely hatched and is now drying under the same lamp (I do not have any other incubator).

I am wonder what to do next? I started conversing with the chick and it seems to be responsive. I figured a little bit of sound might stimulate the newborn so I put on the classical music radio channel to keep her occupied. I am calling her Chirpy yet, I am unsure of its sex and quite frankly have no idea how to identify the gender.

My question for now is: What, When and How should I feed Chirpy? Any other advice is appreciated. Right now I just feel so happy for Chirpy! Thank you.

Guambirder

If the chick is fluffed you can just return it to its mother to raise. Chicks don't like to be alone.

If you are bound to keep it then you need to maintain around 95 degrees the first week 90 the second and 85 the third until she is feathered. She needs starter food available at any feed store. And of course water. A place to be with wood chips or other suitable bedding.

But really the best thing right now is return it to mom.

Dear BackYardChickens.com,

Last night I arrived home to discover that the hen nesting in the tree in my yard had hatched her eggs but, two of the chicks were on the ground chirping away. I found them in the dark and gently placed them back into the nest without their mother knowing. In the morning the hen was still there however by early afternoon she left the nest leaving one last egg. I lifted the egg and heard the chick within chirping. I took the egg inside the house and placed it under a lamp to keep it warm. Within a half an hour the eggshell start to chip away. I started to panic a bit because I did not know what to do next. Well, I googled the subject and came upon your site and intervention instructions. I nervously but cautiously followed your recommendations and by 9:00pm the chick was completely hatched and is now drying under the same lamp (I do not have any other incubator).

I am wondering what to do next? I started conversing with the chick and it seems to be responsive. I figured a little bit of sound might stimulate the newborn so I put on the easy listening music radio channel to keep her occupied. I am calling her Chirpy yet, I am unsure of its sex and quite frankly have no idea how to identify the gender.

My question for now is: What, When and How should I feed Chirpy? Any other advice is appreciated. Right now I just feel so happy for Chirpy! Thank you.

Guambirder

Thank you for your quick response. I will try to find Chirpy's mother first thing in the morning! Hopefully Chirpy will be walking by then. Right now she is sleeping and her feathers are drying (starting to fluff up). The chick's mother is a wild hen so I hope she has not wandered too far into the jungle. As a last resort I will do whatever is necessary to raise her. I truly appreciate your advice!

Guambirder

This is my first hatch. It is day 21, and one chicken is out. 10 more eggs have little pecks out of them, and two of which have full holes. My incubator is crapping out and not reading the temperature properly. Because of this, the temperature is going up and down substantially (mainly up, to 104, then we unplug the incubator and it drops down again). The fully hatched chicken has been out for about 8 hours. He is looking rather uncomfortable (although, I don't know what he should look like). What should I do? It is nearly 11 at night, and I can't keep watching the temperature all night. Should I take the eggs out and put them all in the brooder under a heat lamp? Should I help the eggs break open? Help! help!

Just wanted to follow this... I think I am going to try and help a few of my eggs hatch and see what going on I'll let y'all know my progress

I frequently help out chicks that have pipped but show no progress. (I think our incubation humidity isn't right yet, but we're working on it.) My method has evolved over the last 3 batches, and I think I've gotten down what is the best for me. (I'm not saying anyone should do what I do, but it does work.) And, mine is not so technical. Here's my process:

• I only assist eggs that have pipped. (I tried with non-pipped eggs, and it has never been pretty.)
  • I give the chick 3-4 hours to work the shell and hatch on their own. If they don't, I intervene because I don't want any to die trapped inside their shell. It just seems wrong!
  • I start by removing the shell in a zipper form, side-to-side from the pipped hole (just as the original thread author wrote). Then, I put it back in the bator to give the chick a chance to get out on their own. (Their legs seem to be stronger if they escape on their own.)
  • If the chick doesn't emerge after another 2 hours, then I know that the membrane will be too tough for them to get out of on their own. So, I pull them back out of the bator for assistance.
  • I do have a small supplies list: warm room, no-pile towel (like a kitchen towel or shami), soppy & warm wet washcloth, tweezers, & fingernails.
  • I hold the chick in the towel & pick off the shell gently. I use the wet washcloth to wipe off the membrane (both the outer and the inner membranes). I make sure that I do not disturb the umbilical area, and I usually leave a little bit of shell around the legs to give the bird a chance to "flex".

That's it. I place it back in the bator & watch. (If they never kick off the extra piece of shell on their butt, I pluck it off after a few hours. BE VERY CAREFUL not to pull it off completely or you'll make the umbilical cord area bleed. That's not a good thing!)

I've played chick midwife to 9 chicks in our last 3 hatches, and I haven't lost any yet. Sometimes those chicks that needed assistance take a little bit longer to be on their feet. Don't worry. Just give them the extra time they need. They'll be fine.

God bless you and thank you from the bottom of our hearts! I read your thread and save my chicks life with my husband and 5 children over my shoulder watching. we will be up all night watching his progress and praying he makes it. they named him MIRACLE. is that sweet or what?ill attach his pic tomorrow. you really did a good thing posting this thread. thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom