Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

Mareloo,
I am SO glad that your little guy is doing better. Life happened around here and I couldn't get back to the computer. Belatedly....Yes, I did mean get him out of the shell. Let us know how this guy does.
smile.png

He is doing PERFECT! Standing up now, waving it wings! The biggest feet I have ever seen! And it got long wavy "hair"

Unfortunately I missed a piece of the membrane (I think) on its back and it has dried there.. I will have to get it of. Just not now. I think we both lived tro enough trauma for one day.

It is the largest chick of this batch. It will never see the inside of a pot!

big_smile.png

I am SO glad that everything turned out well for this little one.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
I hope he/she continues to do so well. It would be fun for you to have pictures of this one as he/she grows and see if he/she continues to grow bigger than the others. I wonder if he had so much trouble getting out because he was so big....

dear maraloo
got it done. almost clean enough to live in.

i hve 5 now running around , eating and drinking so well. ive never had such quiet ones.
these have the same daddy and grand daddy. i never thought about that.. i have just one rooster and i just live a day at a time. his name is King Tut.
because of his contribution twice to their mother, i got green eggs. now the chicks look totally EE or how that word is spelleld annaconna.??? cant wait to see how they look adult.
it was a warm day when i put the eggs in the incubator. i didntgive a thought to it being winter and that if i had chicks id have to keep them inside. its that one day at a time thing. i cant plan ahead.
it will be weeks beforei can put them outside even with a heat bulb. oh well thats tomorrow today is today.

im glad your babies are doing good. this is fun.. i never get tired of it but i do relax more. i dotn take a chicks death as seriously as i did in the beginning. we all have our risk. jdy

This is WAY more fun than I ever imagine it to be!

I don't take chick deaths personally but i do take it seriously (if that make sense at all) I want as many alive baby's as possible and will try everything humanly possible to prevent it. LOL, I am stingy that way!

Will post pics of the last chick birthed in my hand to see if it does grow bigger than the rest.

Hope it is smooth sailing for everybody!

Thanks for this post! I helped 4 out I now have 13 chicks out of 19
jumpy.gif
The last 3 eggs have not pipped. Have you ever opened the egg completely? I had dry membranes on several - i had afew dry humidity days and i think tha affected them- the ones that had trouble were my green eggs- really hard shells.

Last edited:
I had one egg that hadn't pipped that I opened, she's doing fine now.
It was the first egg of my last group to start cheeping. The next day all the others had pipped and most had zipped and a couple had hatched I noticed that one egg still hadn't pipped. I tapped and listened and it was still peeping. Left it a few hours longer and checked again, less peeping. Later, no peeping, but still moving... couldn't wait any longer. I took an exacto knife and carefully scratched a small hole in the middle of the air cell. Followed the directions here and eventually wound up removing most of the shell.
She's the smallest of the lot, but vigorous and healthy at 10 days. I'm so glad I didn't let her go, even though it was nerve-wracking. Good luck whatever your choice.

Thank you for this post!!! I now have 8 babies, (maybe 9, they're still working on getting completely out of their shells) when if I hadn't read your post and intervened, I wouldn't have any!! I got my little surgical tray, just like you said, and was very successful. I'm very happy!!! Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom