Intestinal Shedding? Poop Pics Included

May 5, 2023
Hi, All!

Yesterday morning, I found a poop with pale red material in it. I decided to keep an eye on the girls and wait to see if more shoes up. All seem healthy, happy, hungry, and energetic, but I know chickens can mask illness really well. This morning, I found another poop and took a picture. Does this look like intestinal shedding? Or could it be something worse?

My girls are all 10 month old Buff Orpingtons. They eat Nutrena Feather Fixer pellets (I had two molt in December because of mites, which were treated), drink from an insulated nipple waterer, forage in the yard, and get occasional treats of mealworms, squash, and scratch in the winter. I know intestinal shedding happens but I've never actually seen a poop like this. I do have a local veterinarian who sees chickens and could get a fecal float test if needed.

Thank you in advance for any insights you can provide!

Attachments

• IMG_20240204_084906009.jpg
    IMG_20240204_084906009.jpg
    866.8 KB · Views: 24
It is probably intestinal shedding at that age, but a fecal float could rule out worms and coccidia. Definitely something worthwhile if your vet is willing, since many do not help. There are a number of possible worms in chickens including round, cecal, capillary, gape, and tape worms. Valbazen 1/2 ml given orally and repeated in 10 days will treat all but the tapeworms, which are rare. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound given 5 consecutive days will do the same. For tapeworms, Equimax horse paste is best to use.

Back
Top Bottom