Intorducing new chicks with older group

newchickerluver11

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
I have 4 hens right now that are laying. and My mother wants me to get 16more chicks to raise to replace the ones we lost this year to the neighbors dog.

My question is what would be the best way for me to intorduce them?

If the youngsters are going to be in the majority, you'll have more luck. Generally it's best to first put the young ones where the old hens can see them but not get to them. Later, as the little ones get bigger and can fend for themselves, it's safe to mix them together.
I remember the first time I incorporated the babies I was terrified something awful would happen, but had no issue at all.

The big issue is size, one should wait until they are very close to the same size, and that will take several months. It is so tempting to just hope they will get along, but most often if they are smaller it is not pretty.

The other thing is to have hide outs in the run, different levels in the run, like a pallet up on bricks or a roost outside so that they can get away from each other or out of sight.

MrsK

So if the birds go into the coop at six weeks, if they are behind a chicken wired area, how long until I should let them all lose in the coop to work things out?

Back
Top Bottom