Intrducing New Birds

gmayberry

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
I know this has been asked many times but here goes.
I have a very small flock.I started last year with three hens and one rooster.
This spring I lost two of my hens.
I picked up three pullets about 12 to 14 weeks old, two Delewares and one Partridge Rock to replace the hens that were lost. Now, how to introduce them to the coop and run.
I've kept them in a cage in the run for four days. This morning I released them into general population. Not too bad at first, it seems that the rooster pecks at them and the hen will join in. No one bird is singled out but the rock which is dark in color seems to get the least of the abuse. The older birds are Brown Leghorns.
No real damage but since it is approaching 100 degrees here I put the new birds back in their cage. I want to make sure that they have full access to water and food. Even with extra water and food sources it seemed they were backed into a corner most of the time.
The extra stress in this heat can't be good for them.
Any advice would be appreciated. I may let them out again later this evening after it cools a little. Maybe a few more days in the cage would help the situation.

I think you might be worrying too much! there will be establishing of pecking orders lol! unless there is any serious beatings I would just let them sort it out. Maybe put a little something in so the little ones can hide underneath if they have to

Back
Top Bottom