intro 1 roo and 1 hen to 2 hens

D13Chickens

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2017
Im in the process of introducing a rooster (Dinner) and a hen (Foxy Brown) who have been raised together (about 15 weeks old) to my 2 existing hens (Popcorn and Praline, about 22 weeks, I raised from chicks). The hens are about the same size, but the roo is bigger obviously. Ive been letting them out into 2 runs that are about a foot part and feeding them treats close to each other. Things seem to be progressing well. At this point they cant get at each other. I let my 2 hens out to roam while i was cleaning up the coops and of course the rooster snuck out and b-lined straight for the unsuspecting hens. (to note, both hens are doing the squatting/mating thing all the time, whenever i go to pick them up. Praline just started to lay, Popcorn hasnt yet). He immediately tried to mate with Popcorn, the more dominate of the 2. she was not having it. I ran over and split things up and shooed Dinner back into his run. Popcorn and Praline when about their business like nothing happened. When every one was back in their runs, Dinner now paces back and forth watching/stalking the 2 in their run.

Im afraid for Foxy Brown, they share a coop. I dont want him to turn around and take his pent up hormones out on her. He has never tried to mount her though. Do roosters get pent up sexual rage (or is that anthropomorphizing them?)

Was the mounting of Popcorn, him actually trying to mate, or just to show dominance?

What is it going to look like when they mate? I know its not pretty and may look like the hen is being hurt. But, really, how bad? Im very hesitant to search that on youtube.

And how viscous is it when they finally meet and start the pecking order. Everything I have read on here says to let it happen unless their is blood.

Are Popcorn and Praline like, what the heck is this thing? or do they know what a rooster is and what he will try to do to them. They do the squat thing whenever I get near them, so i know they know how to mate.

Thanks for any advice!

Roos usually prefer the new hens, so he shouldn't be interested in Foxy. Have they spent the night yet? I wouldn't let them out until they know where to roost. Then I would just let them all free range. The roo will mate with them a lot the first day (or hour), but should cool down by the second.

The 2 hens have not spent the night with the newcomers yet. The newcomers have been here a few nights, in their own coop, right next to the other coop, but they cant see them in there. just when everyone is in the runs, can they see each other.

The 2 hens have not spent the night with the newcomers yet. The newcomers have been here a few nights, in their own coop, right next to the other coop, but they cant see them in there. just when everyone is in the runs, can they see each other.
Oh, okay. Then just let them freerange today. Despite all the squawking and some feather pulling on the roo's part, they should be fine.

When my daughter was 8 or 9 she thought the rooster was mean because he made the hens give him piggy-back rides all the time. Does that answer your question of what you might expect to see? LOL

Back
Top Bottom