Intro: 1st time chicken mommy!!

BonnieFierce

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
just wanted to introduce myself! My husband and I have been talking about getting our own chickens for about a year and we finally decided to take the plunge! We originally bought three red sex links and two black Polish babies.
As I new mommy (of chicks only) I dove into researching what to do w the babies to insure the best start for our little ones. I’ve already experienced the unexpected heart break of losing one! I felt absolutely terrible! It was my littlest one, who had pasty butt I had discovered he had pasty butt and read about it on the first day of having him. I caught it early, I thought... he was only 2days old. I thought for sure he was out of the danger zone. I had been generally cleaning his little butt off at least twice a day w warm water and oiling it. It was always way smaller than the other black polish we got w/ him, in fact it seemed as if he wasn’t growing at all and the other one was! I used a Doppler and gave him a little electalight water shock seemed to give him energy and he would eat and drink on his own. The other thing I noticed is he would never lay down... the day before he died he was acting the best Id ever seen him! He was running around the cage eating and drinking. The next morning I wiped his lil butt like I had been all week but I didn’t give him the Doppler if sugar water bc now that he was a week old and drinking on his own, I read that can contribute topastybutt...I thought for sure he was going to pull through. A few hours later I went to check on him and there he was legs straight up in the air! I was so shocked, I can’t believe he died! Every other day that week I expected to find him dead but then I really thought I did a good job nursing him to health and NOPE! have you ever had anything like this happen? I hope I didn’t kill him single handily
The other girls are doing well (knock on wood) and my husband went to the store and got me 2 more chicks. Bigger like he other ones we have. We now have 2 Golden Sexlinks, 1 black polish, and 3 red star sex links. Fingers crossed they all stay healthy!

Hello and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new littles. Sadly losses happen :(

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Thanks for the welcome!! Here’s a most recent pic of my lil girls!! (I feel bad but I cannot tell the 3 reset links apart at all!!) the older they grow the more similar they look! Today is the 1st day I have seen them run at each other and chest bump... I hope this is playful and not the start of aggression :( they are only 2.5-3 weeks old!!

Attachments

• A915B849-AE8D-44B3-BE8C-7AC6F6A1E589.jpeg
    A915B849-AE8D-44B3-BE8C-7AC6F6A1E589.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 7ACD5E7E-DF33-4B51-8011-932057E6E351.jpeg
    7ACD5E7E-DF33-4B51-8011-932057E6E351.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 1
:welcome

Thanks for sharing photos of your chicks! I'm sorry about your loss...sometimes little chicks just don't thrive. Do keep an eye on the single Polish, sometimes those top knots are just too attractive to the other chicks and they may pluck the head feathers.

Best of luck to you, make yourself at home here!

G’Day from down under Bonnie….. :frow Welcome!

Chick Sympathy.jpg

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

Please do check out the Topic of the Week discussions Pork Pie mentioned. I have found these to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining.

Your babies are adorable! :love If you would like to share more Pictures and Stories of them, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom