Intro And Questions about game chickens and crosses thereof

Welcome to BYC, Luke. I know many people don't consider old english gamehens to be real game chickens, but they are excellent free rangers and the roosters don't go out of their way to fight. They are defensive of their hens and chicks but they stay in their own territory.
Oh, see, I was meaning real old English game standards of the oxford type, not hatchery or show stock, but if hatchery ones don't fight so bad, they'd maybe be one for me to consider.

Hey Ya'll I'm Lukers, as my friends call me. I've been stalking the forums and I'm new here, so I am introducing myself, stating a few goals for my poultry keeping, and just getting to know ya'll. So I'm from a small town in North Central Arizona, I raise chickens, pigs and Muscovy ducks. I am a 4-H member and go to a Pre college Ag school, and I'm working on my qualifications and pre-requisites to become a large livestock vet.
So, my questions are, and I would like any experienced game fowl folks to chime in here, I want to get games or game crossed breeds such as Kraienkoppes or Sumatras or old English standards. I want them for free range living, since I keep the predators down well and can provide supplemental feed in the winter, and I want something that doesn't lay a ton of eggs, but does lay enough to eat a few and let the hens hatch the rest. Maybe a cross of like an ancona or leghorn with a game of some sort. I really am interested in the Kraienkoppe breed, and I'd like to be able to keep roosters together without any serious fights, though the scuffles and floggings for hens or pecking order are completely okay. Any advice?
Also, what do you all think of the birds from Sandhill preservation center? I would buy both layers and dual purpose birds and the game or game mixed breeds from them and I actually got an email response from Glenn Drowns of the farm answering a few of my questions, and I'd like to know what the rest of you think about the poultry from there, and not just chickens, but all of it.
Thank you
Luke
Welcome to BYC :frow
For free ranging are you wanting an oriental type or a more Red Jungle fowl type Breed?

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC :frow
For free ranging are you wanting an oriental type or a more Red Jungle fowl type Breed?
well, not quite small and diminutive as the RJF, but, yes, that overall bankavoid look.just more power and better egg and meat qualities than a RJF, so like a american game with a teeny, like 1/4 to 1/8 bit of layer in it.

Welcome!

There are some duals that free-range well. One of them is the Ameraucana surprisingly. And there are breeders that focus on this even in their show birds.

Games from a hatchery are less likely for the boys to try to kill each other. I love the look of games but there are other options for free range that produce what you want. You just have to find the breeders that still work on what the breed was ment for and not just on a show circuit. They are out there.

Back
Top Bottom