Intro, new chicken mom

Glad to meet you. You must have changed homes between 2020 and now. Congratulations on your new home, and new animals, including chickens! Best wishes with all your plans, and with the college kids!
Long story short, we still have our home and raise the chocks here until they are noisy or need more space, but we visit the barn often until we can build a house there. It will be a process…

Oh bless your heart. It will be better this time, it was for me. I love having them and yes they are goofballs. I work with them ( feed them wet mash out my hand ) to help get them used to human touch.
I too love cows lived on a ranch 1st time around. Chickens are much easier to handle lol.
Ask anything of these folks here I have learned so much from this site.
Question how's the predator situation where you are. ? and what are you doing for prevention. So sad to see posts after people didn't prepare for them.
I am truly excited for you and your new found peace and freedom. It's hard work but very gratifying to have control over the food you produce and eat. There is also gardeners and preservers on this site.
We have a predator proof chain link with cover dog kennel modified for the chickens. Perimeter wire and it is inside our barn. I let them out for supervised grazing, no issues so far but I agree it would be heartbreaking. The farm is hay mostly so not much area for predators to hide.

Back
Top Bottom