Intro

CassandraP

Chirping
Jul 10, 2020
We have had chickens for about 2.5 years. We started with 6 and lost one after about 5 months. About 6 months ago we moved out to the country and brought our birds with us. Unfortunately we had a raccoon attack a couple of weeks ago and are now down to 1 bird a Rhode Island Red. We are nursing her back and will eventually grow our flock again. We also have one dog who is 12.5 years old and two girls. We love having our pet chickens! They are/were definitely pets with eggs as an added bonus! I hope to gain more knowledge and know how here with this chicken community!

Attachments

• 95DAC515-7E89-4C99-9F67-513CCF04C937.jpeg
    95DAC515-7E89-4C99-9F67-513CCF04C937.jpeg
    537.9 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to BYC! :frowSo sorry to hear about your flock losses. Be sure to check out our predators and pests section and coop design for ideas on dealing with your local wildlife issues. Since you are looking into future chicken acquisitions I would recommend choosing a good foraging and predator savvy breed. In my case my sumatra are virtually bulletproof against avian predators but no breed will do well from night time predators.

Attachments

• pickachicken.pdf
    381.7 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to BYC! :frowSo sorry to hear about your flock losses. Be sure to check out our predators and pests section and coop design for ideas on dealing with your local wildlife issues. Since you are looking into future chicken acquisitions I would recommend choosing a good foraging and predator savvy breed. In my case my sumatra are virtually bulletproof against avian predators but no breed will do well from night time predators.
Thank you for the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom