Intro

Johnhhoward

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2021
Hey guys and girls , I have just started keeping chickens about 8 months ago , my family has had them before for several years but I was very young at the time. Anyway now I started with 12 from tractor supply spur of the moment I had a fence set up 30x30 yds. Built a small coop 8x8x8. Sawdust and sand floors in coop. I think I have them set up pretty well. But I need help with a rooster that waddles and lays down to eat, got 12 new chicks a couple weeks ago one of them has a hooked beak holds her head like a hawk or eagle and that's what her beak and the way she holds her head but right below the lower part of beak it's bulging out especially when she eats. Got one small hen layed her egg I assume her first egg it was soft almost clear and latex like feel.got 1 rooster just wants to fight the one that lays down to eat.i need help am I going about this correctly...

Hey guys and girls , I have just started keeping chickens about 8 months ago , my family has had them before for several years but I was very young at the time. Anyway now I started with 12 from tractor supply spur of the moment I had a fence set up 30x30 yds. Built a small coop 8x8x8. Sawdust and sand floors in coop. I think I have them set up pretty well. But I need help with a rooster that waddles and lays down to eat, got 12 new chicks a couple weeks ago one of them has a hooked beak holds her head like a hawk or eagle and that's what her beak and the way she holds her head but right below the lower part of beak it's bulging out especially when she eats. Got one small hen layed her egg I assume her first egg it was soft almost clear and latex like feel.got 1 rooster just wants to fight the one that lays down to eat.i need help am I going about this correctly...
So glad you joined!! :welcome

Hello, John, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The cockerel that lays down to eat and waddles.. can you post pictures of him? He sounds like a Cornish Cross.
The pullet with the hooked beak sounds like a cross-beak. Can you post pictures of her?
It is not uncommon for a new layer to lay soft shell or shell-less eggs. Do you have a container or two of oyster shell out for them for free choice eating? It helps but the softies may continue until her reproductive system fully matures. It wouldn't hurt her to feed her a 400 mg calcium citrate tablet once a day for a week or more.

Back
Top Bottom