Intro

Hi :frow
A quick intro for me - I'll answer the questions.....
I've had chickens for over 20 years, first got them (3 Barred Rocks) for eggs - once they'd established themselves free range on our acre I found we had no slugs, snails or earwigs - what a great bonus. Had them for 5 years before the coyotes found us and realized we were the KFC on their route. Built the Fort Knox of chicken coops and runs (prior they had a small night house they'd be locked up in).
When I replaced them I had Marans, Barnvelders, Aurcanas, Polish, Cochin, and Welsummer - made for a pretty yard with different chickens. Eventually their free ranging ended when the coyotes came through at noon and took out 2. Now we're on a ranch and have 5 chickens - Australorp, Welsummer, and Easter Eggers. (5 chickens). I like different chickens and now with the space my try getting a rooster and breeding them. Who knows!! :lau🐔
I like having chickens for their eggs. And they are fun to watch.
This spring I need to revamp our chicken run - it just needs a little updating! I miss the one we had at the old place - it was huge!
We have sheep on the ranch and have dogs that I use for herding and moving the sheep to different areas on the ranch to graze in grazing season.
I ~think I was on BYC many many MANY years ago. I'm on BYH now and have just added BYC back in.
Welcome back into BYC!!

Glad to meet you, and welcome back to BYC. You might like to know about electric fencing. Do you have any photos? Your flock sounds beautiful!
I don’t have any electric fencing at the moment. The choocks are in the house yard in a chicken run. I just got the Premiere fencing catalog in the mail last week 😊. Here on the ranch we have coyotes, several types of hawks, bobcats and reported but yet to be seen mountain lions. They work out well in their run - I’d love free ranging but the hawks could be a problem. 😊

Back
Top Bottom