1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pinky Macgyver, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Hi all,
    I'm a relatively new chicken owner, only about three and a half months and have read lots of helpful things here so I thought it was about time I join :)
    I have two Plymouth rock chickens that I got at a week old. One turned out to be a rooster so I won't have any eggs to eat but will soon have to work out what to do with all the babies :p Getting rid of the rooster isn't an option because he and the hen are just so close, I think it would brake her heart.
    I built them a little cubby house out of scraps of building materials that people gave me and they seem to be pretty happy. Will post pics once I work out how :p
    Anyway, I don't know what else to say so I'll leave it there.

:-D

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Glad you joined the forum. :welcome If you ever have any questions just ask. :)

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Pinky MacGyver, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Best of luck to you and your flock and have a Happy New Year!

4. Pinky Macgyver

Dec 31, 2012
    thanks guys :-D

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Happy chickening. [​IMG]

You can still eat the eggs your hen lays, you will only get chicks if your hen goes broody and incubates the eggs or you incubate them.

Is your rooster old enough to crow yet? Is that going to be a problem with neighbours? I would love to have a rooster with my girls but in a suburban backyard the crowing would be a noise nuisance for the neighbours.

My coop is made out of recycled stuff too. One of the doors is an old picture frame with chicken wire on it.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] can you get more girls? I believe a rooster is supposed to have a 1 : 8 ratio so the hens don't get "over bred"

8. Pinky Macgyver

Dec 31, 2012
    that coop sounds great :) mine's mostly old fence palings and some kind of tile sheeting.

my rooster (named Giraffe) is old enough to crow but I found that he stops when I put the radio on. :-D

I know you can eat them but I just think it would feel too strange. I'm going to have to get learning about incubation I guess. Is there a way to tell if your hen is going to be broody?

9. Pinky Macgyver

Dec 31, 2012
    :O what happens he they're over bred? will she be ok? I can't really manage more than two or three where I am.

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by