Intro

Pinky Macgyver

Songster
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
Hi all,
I'm a relatively new chicken owner, only about three and a half months and have read lots of helpful things here so I thought it was about time I join :)
I have two Plymouth rock chickens that I got at a week old. One turned out to be a rooster so I won't have any eggs to eat but will soon have to work out what to do with all the babies :p Getting rid of the rooster isn't an option because he and the hen are just so close, I think it would brake her heart.
I built them a little cubby house out of scraps of building materials that people gave me and they seem to be pretty happy. Will post pics once I work out how :p
Anyway, I don't know what else to say so I'll leave it there.

:-D

Greetings from Kansas, Pinky MacGyver, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Best of luck to you and your flock and have a Happy New Year!

Happy chickening.
frow.gif

You can still eat the eggs your hen lays, you will only get chicks if your hen goes broody and incubates the eggs or you incubate them.

Is your rooster old enough to crow yet? Is that going to be a problem with neighbours? I would love to have a rooster with my girls but in a suburban backyard the crowing would be a noise nuisance for the neighbours.

My coop is made out of recycled stuff too. One of the doors is an old picture frame with chicken wire on it.

that coop sounds great :) mine's mostly old fence palings and some kind of tile sheeting.

my rooster (named Giraffe) is old enough to crow but I found that he stops when I put the radio on. :-D

I know you can eat them but I just think it would feel too strange. I'm going to have to get learning about incubation I guess. Is there a way to tell if your hen is going to be broody?

:O what happens he they're over bred? will she be ok? I can't really manage more than two or three where I am.

Back
Top Bottom