Introduce new ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shireen, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Shireen

Shireen New Egg

Dec 8, 2012
    I have 7 chickens and 3 ducks. They are all female, live together, and get along well. Someone wants to give us 2 adult ducks (rescue). One is female, the other male. I am worried that if we take the ducks, we will no longer have peace and harmony. I cannot tolerate animals getting injured. However, these 2 ducks do not have a home and may lose their lives. Do I try introducing them to my flock or are the odds against them getting along?

2. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    When introducing new birds keep yours and the rescues seperate but in eyesight of each other. Give them time to adjust to each other about 4 days. then let them mingle. There may be a bit of fighting aka pecking the first 2 or 3 days but then they shuld be fine. [​IMG]

3. Shireen

Shireen New Egg

Dec 8, 2012
    They would be OK with the chickens too that way?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A drake may try to mate with chickens and that could be fatal for them. It does not always happen, but it is a possibility.

When I added a drake and two ducks to my flock of all female ducks, it took a few weeks for everyone (mostly Einz, my runner) to calm down. Now everything is fine. But they were separated for several days at all times - they could see each other. Then they were separated at night only, then finally they could be left together.

5. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Typically the drake will leave the female chickens alone if he has enough of his own ladies to take care of. I have 3 chickens, 2 female ducks, and one drake...he doesn't even care about the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by