Introduced chicks to broody hen, afraid nesting boxes too high

PeppersChicks

Chirping
Jul 29, 2022
I have a hen that went broody about 2-3 weeks ago. I tried breaking her but she was relentless. I wanted to grow my flock so I just decided to do it now since she was so determined. Over the course of the past couple of weeks I tried moving her to a new lower nesting box but she was not having that. She always ends up in the same nesting box she started in. I went to tractor supply and purchased 4 chicks this morning, I know you are supposed to make the switch at night but I did it today so I could keep an eye on her because I wouldn't be able to tonight. She is sitting quietly, the chicks are quiet and all seems well.
These are my concerns:
1. My coop is about 3-4 feet off the ground and I'm concerned the chicks will fall out but she won't move, I tried moving her again this morning with the chicks and she got mad, pooped, ate and walked around for about 10-15 minutes then went back to the original nesting box. When she got settled back in, I put the chicks back under her and she is now content. Should I be worried the chicks will be hurt when she tries to get down?
2. It's been about 3 hours since I have introduced the chicks, she never pecked them and once they were under her she settled in all quiet. How long before I know she has actually accepted them? Should I lift her up and check on them or leave her be?
3. I put water and chick starter close to the nesting box she is in, will she show them food and water?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first experience with a broody hen and chick introduction.

Should I be worried the chicks will be hurt when she tries to get down?
I would not be. I've seen a hen get her chicks down from a 10' high hay loft. She flew to the ground, said jump, and they did. No issues. My hens regularly hatch in nests 4' above the coop floor. I've never had one hurt getting down from that nest.

I did have a problem one time though. There are always exceptions to everything. One time the nest was a cat litter bucket upright with the top 7-1/2" x 11-1/2". Sometimes the first chicks that hatch climb up on Mama's back while waiting for the later ones to hatch. I had to pick a chick off of the coop floor (probably the same chick) four times to put back in with Mama. When it slid off it missed the nest and fell 4 feet to the coop floor. It was not hurt. If your broody is sitting real close to the edge of the nest you might get something like this but otherwise the chicks falling from the nest has never been a problem.

It's been about 3 hours since I have introduced the chicks, she never pecked them and once they were under her she settled in all quiet. How long before I know she has actually accepted them? Should I lift her up and check on them or leave her be?
I'd leave her be. I find the more I interfere the more harm I do. For example I killed a chick one time by picking up a broody hen. Sometimes the very young chicks climb up under the broody hen's wings. When I picked the hen up to see what color the chicks were that she had hatched instead of waiting a little while one was under her wing. I crushed it. I've learned to be more patient and less curious.

I put water and chick starter close to the nesting box she is in, will she show them food and water?
I put water and food on the coop floor where the chicks can get to it after she brings them off of the nest. Some people like to put food and water right at the nest. I don't want to take the chance of the water spilling and soaking the nest or the food possibly attracting vermin like mice or rats to the nest. I've never had a chick die of thirst or hunger by waiting for the broody to bring them off.

I do not have any nests on the coop floor. My broody hens take the chicks to bed in the coop floor without a nest. The first day or two they may drop down anywhere to cover them but pretty soon they start taking them to a corner more out of the traffic flow. Broody hens have been hatching chicks and raising them for thousands of years without help from humans. When we put them in coops and lock them in small runs we restrict them so sometimes we need to help, but as much as possible I trust my broody hens and try to stay out of their way.

I took your first question (My coop is about 3-4 feet off the ground) to mean your nest is 3-4 feet off of the coop floor. If your coop floor is actually that far off of the ground that means you probably have a ramp. If you do could you take a photo of that and post it? There could be some issues with that. Nothing insurmountable but let's discuss them.

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first experience with a broody hen and chick introduction.
Don't ever be afraid to ask a question. You'd hate for something to harm your chickens because you were concerned about asking a question.

So I went out to check on them and all but one chick was out from under her just sitting in the coop. When I went to put them back she started pecking like crazy at them that I had to take all 4 from her. I set up a dog kennel in the to put her in and she went bonkers but calmed down a while later. I tried to introduce a chick back to her but she was pecking at it so bad I thought she going to kill it. Should I wait and try again late tonight?

That suddenly became hard. You can try putting them under her tonight and be out there first light to see what is going on but I would not. After a rejection like that I'd be afraid she will hurt or kill them.

Yeah, I'm wondering if I should have one with her that she kept but it's too late now I moved it. Before I got the chicks this morning I tried breaking her broodiness with every option I could find on the internet. I cooled her belly, put her in the kennel for days and no luck, she still set on every egg so I was hoping she would have been a good mama

So, I took the chicks out yesterday and put them in the brooder and at 10 last night I went and stuck them under my broody hen. There was no fuss and I checked on them a few times last night and all was quiet. I went out this morning and she has turned around in the nest facing the wall, no chicks were out running around and I can hear them peeping in there with her. Should I move her and check on them? I was afraid to touch her and get her upset again.

I'd leave her alone. I understand how much you want to know what is going on but I'd keep a close watch on them but not disturb her any more than you have to.
Thank You! Yes I decided against messing with her for now. I went out there earlier to check and seen 2 little fluff balls crawling back under her. I was so excited! So I know 2 of the 4 are still alive. My concern is them eating and drinking. I put starter food and water close to the nesting box she is, should I just let them do their thing and hope they are eating and drinking?

Back
Top Bottom