Introduced my lab to my chickens today

Years ago I had a farm and the chickens were let out of their coop each morning to range. I had an Alaskan Malamute and a collie when I bought the farm (along with about 9 chickens). First I had a weanling pig get out and the AM caught her, but no harm was done, but a few days later I heard the chickens squawking and looked out in time to see the AM grabbing the 5th hen, shaking it, then going for the next one. By the time I got to her we had 2 chickens left. As much as I hate to tie a dog up I tied her up and started looking for a city home for. She was adopted by a great young man who loved her dearly, so that ended well. Living in the country means you will always have a good supply of dogs whether you want to or not.
somad.gif
So we had many, many dogs over the years that we took in. Recently, as I am back in chickens again this time with a loving 7 y.o. lab and a 2 y.o. beagle cross (both dumped dogs) that would chase and kill the chickens in a heartbeat, I realized that none of the dogs that were dumped on me on the farm ever gave the chickens a thought. No hidden message here, but just realizing I'd never worried about my dogs and stock in the past. Oh well, such as life. The collie wouldn't kill anything, but she would run circles around coyotes when they came too close and bark to let me know I needed to do something. I also had a young stallion who I watched chase a coyote across the pasture striking out at with his front feet finally hitting it. The coyote rolled about 3 times and came up running at right angles from the direction they'd been going. Animals are an education to any who care to pay attention.

I have a 6 month old dog that I am trying to train to leave my hens in peace. She is intrigued, sniffs them and follows them around. She is quite well mannered with them.
big_smile.png
Hens are completely unphased (they are used to our cats). I'm afraid to let her off the lead with them as she does love to chase birds and if the hens flap she will chase... just not sure what she would do when she catches them. The cats are scared of the hens as the hens taught cats to stay away but they don't seem to mind the dog! I guess I'll just keep her on the lead with them for half an hour a day and let her get used to them. I would love for them all to be able to roam around happily together!!

One of my labs destroyed several chickens two years ago. I believe she was just playing with them but her type of play resulted in chicken death. Today, she runs around their coop but can't get to them. I won't let the dogs be loose in the yard when I have the chickens out. Too dangerous for my nerves!

Yeah... maybe they'll just have to take turns in the garden! She completely ignores them when they are locked up in the run, thankfully! It would take a lot for me to trust her with them unleashed!

I have a 5 month old Brittany and she learned today that the roosters mean business. My silver rooster tried to flog her through the fence. No harm done or anything but it taught her that those chickens aren't for messing with! I've had a hard time trying to train Maci not to chase and bother the chickens...

Back
Top Bottom